cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The only reason medicare and SS are going broke

Is because the haves don't want to pay for it. They will quickly reneg on the governments obligations  to seniors in order to protect high earners from more taxes.

Means testing SS and medicare is laughable when the means test tax payers in favor of lower tax rates. Tell me why someone that makes $200 k pays the same SS dollars as someone  making $110k/ Means testing. If you make to much you are immune from additional ss taxes.

WE will cut your benefits mr rich guy before we tax the other mr rich guy one dollar more.

32 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: The only reason medicare and SS are going broke

See #3: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/10/12/1002021/at-the-vice-presidential-debate-ryan-told-24-my...

Other's apply to the subject as well. BTW - agreed that means testing will not get us anywhere. Too few people are rich for the savings to equal significant extensions of the programs. It's just like their idea to cut funding to PBS - I heard it said somewhere recently that the entire PBS budget annually equals less than the cost of one hour of our wars in the Middle East. I'll have to find a source, but the example should be close.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

kraft-t wrote:Tell me why someone that makes $200 k pays the same SS dollars as someone  making $110k/

Because he gets the same return. Fairly simple to figure that one out I think. Unless, of course, all you are looking for is redistribution.......

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Face it , Kraft, the younger people just don't want to pay for your three homes, Mexican vacations, and new cars. We are a worthless bunch of offspring.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My stuff is all paid for. It's time you started paying a few dues in this country instead of take take take.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Well if it is charity, it wouldn't hurt Mitt to chip in a little!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Doesn't reducing the benefits to the rich, have the same basic effect, as taxing them more?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Personally, I think unnecessary government spending, can be compared to a kernel of corn.  A little here, and a little there, does not seem like a lot, just like the kernels of corn don't seem like much.  However, add enough of them up together, and they can break the axle on a semi.

Even it if is just 'a little bit' of unneeded spending, why spend it, if it is 'un-needed'?

We aren't going to balance the budget, by cutting this one thing, or taxing that one thing.  It is going to take a lot of little cuts, here and there, along with little tax hikes, here and there.
The government has gotten so bloated, they have Billions, if not Trillions of dollars, just gone, with no one having any idea of where it went.  If my wife writes a check out of my checkbook for $100 and doesn't write it down, I scold her for it, not because $100 will make or break me, but unless you have a handle on every bit of income and outgo, you don't know exactly where you sit.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Actually you are the generation that hasn't paid enough along with all the following generations but to a lesser degree.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

A million here and a million there...preety soon it adds up to real money.