cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

The purpose of theology

isn't so much a matter of it leading you to faith- that is a different process. Of which I will admit to being not very well advanced in.

It is a matter of keeping you from false theology, which is ubiquitous, a part of the human condition.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: The purpose of theology

Jesus came to show people the way to Salvation.

Highlighted
Advisor

Pope Frank apparently isn't real in on the Jerusalem deal, nor are the leaders of the rest of the world's mainstream Christian movements

You Opus Dei guys need to get your displeasure registered.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” 6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.”

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Nox; you might find this interesting to read as it talks about 'theology' as the Catholic church determines it

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/2018-will-be-the-year-of-the-polarized-church/

While Catholic theology considers the Pope to be the direct successor of St. Peter, given the keys of the kingdom by Jesus Himself, the church has always contained dissidents. And since the early 1960s, it has been acutely divided between conservatives and liberals—a rift that’s grown deeper ever since the 2013 election of Pope Francis, the most reform-driven Pope in living memory and, after, the reigns of John Paul II and Benedict XVI, who were both adored by the Catholic right, the most polarizing.

With a decision on a particularly divisive papal text looming, there is a chance that 2018 causes the Catholic Church to come apart along those simmering seams. It won’t be a formal separation—but it will certainly feel like one.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Marx believed that religion had certain practical functions in society that were similar to the function of opium in a sick or injured person: it reduced people's immediate suffering and provided them with pleasant illusions, but it also reduced their energy and their willingness to confront the oppressive, heartless, and soulless reality that capitalism had forced them into.