cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

The real deep state

After already receiving a controversial $1.6 billion construction loan from U.S. taxpayers, the wealthy investors of a California solar power plant now want a $539 million federal grant to pay off their federal loan.

"This is an attempt by very large cash generating companies that have billions on their balance sheet to get a federal bailout, i.e. a bailout from us - the taxpayer for their pet project," said Reason Foundation VP of Research Julian Morris. "It's actually rather obscene."

The Ivanpah solar electric generating plant is owned by Google and renewable energy giant NRG, which are responsible for paying off their federal loan. If approved by the U.S. Treasury, the two corporations will not use their own money, but taxpayer cash to pay off 30 percent of the cost of their plant, but taxpayers will receive none of the millions in revenues the plant will generate over the next 30 years.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/08/world-largest-solar-plant-applying-for-federal-grant-to-p...

13 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: The real deep state

Be a lot cheaper in the long run for all concerned to simply invest directly into projects. That, of course, would cut out billions in expected margins and fees and palm grease to the plutocrats who have come to expect such. Much less the scores of state, local and federal elected representatives who are compensated for steering projects in the "right direction". Look up how TVA and all of rural electrification were let. What you fools support by going along with this folly is progress in infrastructure and energy to be run like the building of the Western railroads was in the 19th century. It took 3 Depressions and 50 years to get that straightened out.
hardnox
Advisor

Doncha think it's actually kind of liberal (sorry for the foul language) to want to burn up the last little drabs of our fossil fuel endowment as fast as possible?

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Why the hell don't we develop and use Thorium as our primary fuel source ? It is plentiful and cheap. I can't believe that there are SO DÂMNED MANY obtuse liberals out there. Smiley Sad
hardnox
Advisor

Yes, I believe that was one of the Kochs' primary objectives in the election. Excuse me while I ROTFLMAO.

You'll have to talk to 30 about where the research cash is going to come from. Oh wait a minute, it was already spend on Shrub's brilliant cellulosic ethanol intitiative.

The Chinese are said to be mounting a major effort on thorium. Like solar where they've driven a huge success for mankind by driving the cost sharply lower- more power to them.

I'll let you be the guy who calls a Koch and tells him we're going to invest some serious cash in getting out of the fossil fuel business.

And Adelson, tell him that we've decided we'll just leave his folks to work things out in the ME, good luck we're going home to beat our swords into plowshares and cook up some thorium.

Veteran Advisor

If they would only take away the damned regulations that forbid entrepreneurs in physics to begin work on it. I personally know of one that can create a nuclear powered world, if only allowed to do so.
bruce MN
Advisor

Explain to us how it is liberals (as with more and more terms and labels whatever the he!! That means anymore),who want and desire alternative energy are keeping it from being developed through regulation. Or is there some magic self regenerating perpetual motion creating foo foo dust based solution that is going to run through the Keystone?
Veteran Advisor

I have a very liberal neighbor, and on his vehicle is a bumper sticker. The sticker says, "Split Wood, NOT ATOMS!"

That is the Liberal mindset that stopped research in its tracks. More than likely, American scientists will have to go to China to develop new Thorium systems.
bruce MN
Advisor

So you know, or at least recognize by sight one idealistic if not misguide hipster. I'll admit they are a problem for discussions on meaningful economic progress for Democrata. That crew is seldom neither progressive or liberal but rather deeply shel absorbed and narcissistic enough to believe that there is some form of salvation awaiting them for their views. Well meaning but not who are what is holding back anything. Nobody on the working left listens to them either. But the left at least is nice to them. Research in very many area is hobbled not by ideology but by the culture of financialization that has evolved forward since the supply siders took over in the early 80s You cAn't turn it into a layer of cream overnight. You've obviously heard some Dr or bio scientist say that there would have had an Ebola vaccine long ago is the customer demographic would have had money or insurance
hardnox
Advisor

Sure.

I'm not going to share my breakthroughs in bathtub cold fusion either.

Not when there's a conspiracy to force us all to buy that hippie energy.