cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: The warming Arctic

r3020 wrote:

Don't get too excited Craig, not happening as fast as we are lead to believe by the thumpers.

snip-

The rate of ice growth for the first half of November 2015 was quite rapid, but the pace of ice growth slowed during the second half of the month, only to increase again at the end of the month. Throughout the month, sea ice extent remained within two standard deviations of the 1981 to 2010 average.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

You did notice this in your link I suppose

Arctic sea ice extent averaged for November 2015 was the sixth lowest in the satellite data record. Through 2015, the linear rate of decline for November extent is 4.7% per decade.

The average rate of ice growth for November 2015 was 29,800 square kilometers per day (11,500 square miles per day). However, this value averages out the rather rapid growth rate during the first half of the month with a much slower rate during the second part of the month and rapid growth near its end.

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 12.14.10 PM.png

Senior Contributor

I don't trust you OR your links.

twatwaffle.jpg

Senior Contributor

Re: So?

I wouldnt know.

I have WON  Smiley Very Happy on Equal marriage, statewide, nation wide and NOW even in  ALL religous groups 

You and Vander snotts are the LOSERS of Iowa

Senior Contributor

@Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^) wrote:

Most carbon releases into the atmosphere is delivered by volcanic activity. Let's tax the volcanoes at 100% of their income!

Got any references for that statement?

Check this

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11638-climate-myths-human-co2-emissions-are-too-tiny-to-matte...

Volcanic misunderstanding
Fossil fuels also contain less carbon-13 than carbon-12, compared with the atmosphere, because the fuels derive from plants, which preferentially take up the more common carbon-12. The ratio of carbon-13 to carbon-12 in the atmosphere and ocean surface waters is steadily falling, showing that more carbon-12 is entering the atmosphere.

Finally, claims that volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities are simply not true. In the very distant past, there have been volcanic eruptions so massive that they covered vast areas in lava more than a kilometre thick and appear to have released enough CO2 to warm the planet after the initial cooling caused by the dust (see Wipeout). But even with such gigantic eruptions, most of subsequent warming may have been due to methane released when lava heated coal deposits, rather than from CO2 from the volcanoes (see also Did the North Atlantic’s ‘birth’ warm the world?).

Measurements of CO2 levels over the past 50 years do not show any significant rises after eruptions. Total emissions from volcanoes on land are estimated to average just 0.3 Gt of CO2 each year – about a hundredth of human emissions (pdf document).

While volcanic emissions are negligible in the short term, over tens of millions of years they do release massive quantities of CO2. But they are balanced by the loss of carbon in ocean sediments subducted under continents through tectonic plate movements. Ultimately, this carbon will be returned to the atmosphere by volcanoes.

Veteran Advisor

Is that all you have to resort to?  It must suck to lose. 

Here is something else to put you on edge. Yellowstone Park area is on a YUUUGE volcanic hot spot, which is rising fast. It is due to explode at anytime. Western Iowa will be covered in ten feet (estimated) of ash. If I were you, I'd be more worried about that certainty. 

Senior Contributor

Yeah, I know all about that, but Warren county would hardly be spared ANY of  it's effects. - DUH

You really are the Dollar Store of all  arguments.

Veteran Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^) wrote:

Most carbon releases into the atmosphere is delivered by volcanic activity. Let's tax the volcanoes at 100% of their income!

Got any references for that statement?

Ultimately, this carbon will be returned to the atmosphere by volcanoes.

http://pnsn.org/outreach/about-earthquakes/plate-tectonics
Watch the video from these gifted scientists on that link. 
Veteran Advisor

What about you and the fear of a Muslim behind every tree waiting to cut your head off?  What about the fear you have of someone invading your house and raping your wife and daughter?  Those are why you need all the weapons the govt has isn't it???

Veteran Advisor

Right vs wrong, ..... Right will always prevail. 

image.jpeg

We are dicussing polar bear food, here, try to stay on topic. 

Veteran Advisor

I have "bug out" trucks ready, you don't. Smiley LOL