Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: The woman's got a set

Electability potential, for starters.

Samnospam
Advisor

RP's biggest challenge would be getting the nomination. Obama he'd beat.
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Here is a question for you, since you use a quotation about the gold standard as part of your post:  Ron Paul adovactes a return to hard money, to something backed by gold and not a fiat currency. How on earth would we get to that point from where we are right now?

Back in college, in Econ 101 we studied the various measures of money in circulation, does anyone even track how much paper and currency debt the USA has out there? I know counterfeiting is always going on, and with the deficits and the dollars being used world wide as reserve currency, it seems like a real mess. I think it is credible to believe that Saddam Hussein was "taken out" for his threatened move to switch and use the euro as the currency to trade the Iraqi oil in. If the world quits using the American dollar as a reserve currency for the nation to nation transactions, I wonder what the repercussions will be. And perhaps I should say "when", not "if".

I wonder what an audit of the fed's books would reveal, and how far down the rathole we really are. You know, Hitler repudiated the foreign debt of Germany when he took power, and issued new money that was tied to labor hours as a means of value. I am just curious as to what Ron Paul, who in many ways would be like a Hitler with his views about banking, would actually do, and if he has fleshed out his talking points. How do you go from being essentially bankrupt, to having a nation with a gold standard, or some other backing to a currency?

It makes me very reluctant to get rid of grain, for future years, in exchange for a flimsy promise of American dollars, just thinking of hyperinflation as the dollars all come home to roost.

Samnospam
Advisor

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul431.html

I think an audit of the fed would reveal they've accepted a lot of worthless paper as collateral for a lot of created mulla.

My understanding of why the fed thinks we will not see hyperinflation is that they understand that the money they are creating is going into commodities, but they also understand that the worlds people are not seeing any increase in wage. Therefore as prices rise demand will be destroyed keeping a lid on prices. Which sounds to me like they plan on people in the third world going hungry, you and I switching to chicken.

Many other wise people look at the incredible debt overhang around the world and find deflation in the future. My guess is that commodities are a safer bet in the near to mid term than dollars, but really who the Hell knows.
bruce MN
Advisor

Red:  "Hitler repudiated the foreign debt of Germany when he took power, and issued new money that was tied to labor hours as a means of value."

He did indeed. he repudiated the soverign debt of Germany owed to foriegn and domestic banking institutions and yet was able to see the most rapidly developed war machine ever in the wrold built up in just a few years by......privatizing the nations industires and defense (in a stealth manner, of course..always for the "fatherland") but built and profited upon by huge multinational firms that were funded by the genuine PTB of  the world's old money and metallic treasure. Many of them other European and American...chartered by and held in some cases the very nations that he ultimtely fought and most thankfully was defeated by. Some of them vested in and run even by families that went on to give us a,...no, actually 2...Presidents.

There would be all sorts of support in various high places for out in the open, transparent unapologetic facism here today as a response to our economic problems. We've got the degree of concentratoin in our financial instituions that would be required in energy and hard industry to faclititate it so it's not impossible. CNBC, the Wall Street Journal and too many internet sites are full of out in th eopen support for that every day.

bruce MN
Advisor

Sam says:

"My understanding of why the fed thinks we will not see hyperinflation is that they understand that the money they are creating is going into commodities, but they also understand that the worlds people are not seeing any increase in wage. Therefore as prices rise demand will be destroyed keeping a lid on prices. Which sounds to me like they plan on people in the third world going hungry, you and I switching to chicken."

Have you been reading Krugman these past few days and taken up his views? What you say is precisely what he's been discussin. You should probably go to his blog and kudo him up.

bruce MN
Advisor

The right winged (Koch/Murdoch) media would see to his never getting close. But you may be right. If he somehow could get on as a 3rd party candiate  he'd likely attract a considerable amount of progressive support in the event that the the D and R parties nominated another  pair of banker's lackey corporatists. But very few centrist Dems or country club Republicans.

Webb might be able to do better, but then he'd have a hell of a time getting on the ballot with the baggers so dominated by extremist religious, cultural and social conservatives. And how you get rid of them now is impossible to imagine. The likes of Armey and the Koch boys saw an opportunity in bagger world and got involved and supported it and set the whole thing up so that the uber wingers would find dry ground under the big tent and ultimatley support corporatist Repubs, if only as a default action.

Webb might be able to navigate through and around some of that better.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: About the woman

Please consider that one of the deepest regrets of the Clinton administration is their inaction to the massacre in Rowanda. I dare say that is more likely to drive our intervention in Libya than anything else.

bruce MN
Advisor

It is indeed disparaging that the larger conversation should ever come to a discussion such as that. Well indeed.

But the view there doesn't come out of thin air, like some fantasy novel. It's legitimately precipitated. And fits with the conditions on the ground.

Would be very interesting to see a counter piece that was as honest and straight forward in proposal, laying out  a proposed  alternative solution. What we only ever get from the people who are 180 degrees across from it are a pat on the head and "Trust us. This is America. You are being looked out for".  (The McConnell-Cantor Doctrine.)

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: About the woman

Could well be.