cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

The year for strange candidates

Is it just me or is this the year for some rather odd folks running for office.  We have Alvin Greene winning the primary in South Carolina that no one knows, does not campaign, is facing a pending felony charge, lives with his dad and no one knows where he got the money to get his name on the ballot.  We have Linda McMahan the wife on Vince McMahan who is the Don King of all star wrestling winning the Repub Senate primary in Connecticut.  We have a proclaimed Tea Party candidate Sharon Angle running in Nevada who does not want to answer questions from reporters and has said she wishes to speak only to certain reporters who ask only specific questions that she wants to answer to help get her message out. 

I have a couple of theories about some of these strange candidates running this year.  First off we have an all time low approval rating for Congress.  Maybe some more qualified folks who might have been inclined to run have decided now is simply not a good time to be running for Congress.  My other thought on this is one I admit to hearing on the boob tube.  The idea was that with the sudden emergence and clout of the Tea Party that there are some T.P. candidates with little political savvy and experience that were able to get their names on the ballot more easily as opposed to the other two more established parties where candidates would typically get a more thorough vetting before getting on the ballot.  The idea seems to have some merit although McCain and Palin seem to go against this idea.

4 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: The year for strange candidates

@dagwud wrote:

Is it just me or is this the year for some rather odd folks running for office.  We have Alvin Greene winning the primary in South Carolina that no one knows, does not campaign, is facing a pending felony charge, lives with his dad and no one knows where he got the money to get his name on the ballot.  We have Linda McMahan the wife on Vince McMahan who is the Don King of all star wrestling winning the Repub Senate primary in Connecticut.  We have a proclaimed Tea Party candidate Sharon Angle running in Nevada who does not want to answer questions from reporters and has said she wishes to speak only to certain reporters who ask only specific questions that she wants to answer to help get her message out. 

I have a couple of theories about some of these strange candidates running this year.  First off we have an all time low approval rating for Congress.  Maybe some more qualified folks who might have been inclined to run have decided now is simply not a good time to be running for Congress.  My other thought on this is one I admit to hearing on the boob tube.  The idea was that with the sudden emergence and clout of the Tea Party that there are some T.P. candidates with little political savvy and experience that were able to get their names on the ballot more easily as opposed to the other two more established parties where candidates would typically get a more thorough vetting before getting on the ballot.  The idea seems to have some merit although McCain and Palin seem to go against this idea.

Revolutions tend to look pretty messy, and we are in the midst of one right now.

You have mentioned several times that you do not get involved with who governs you, hence my advice to you;...... if you do not "put your oar in" and get involved, you will get the governance that you have always had, and nothing will improve.

The reason things are so bad is mostly because no one stood up and stopped it... plain and simple.  Apathy is the nerve gas of Liberty!

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

dagwud, all of those candidates are expendable. There was no way that McCain and Palin were going to beat Obama and Biden. But McCain has a secure seat, and he's been reelected many times, also he has little mileage left, so throw him out in front so as not to "dirty up" a younger more viable candidate. It's the same with Palin, she had ticked off the party power brokers and they kicked her to the curb, ending her stint in politics. So, she's getting face time now, who wouldn't scoop up that kind of mula if it was there to be had.

After the majorities that the republicans had recently, the pendulum was going to swing the other way regardless, and almost always has. Why sacrifice the mid and upper level people that do have a future to run a race that you can't win? It's the same way with all those candidates that you mentioned. Harry Reid gets to be seen front and center for all political accomplishments, who can counter that amount of face time? They are also letting the democrats beat themselves, with the momentum the democrats had the best thing to do was lay back and let the negatives build. Basically let your opponent do half your work. It makes campaigns easier to run when there's a record to talk about and counter and proof of your opponents position.

The republicans are holding back right now, laying in the shadows, because they want to get a majority back, not win a few sporadic seats here and there. The longer they wait, the easier the campaigns. Look at how they got in power before they recently lost it.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: You need to read

Hardnox's link to David Stockman's piece.

Samnospam
Advisor

Strange probably means not willing to play ball.    There is so much anger and disgust in this country for the ruling elite that a few of "us" are hoping to make a difference.   Why any decent person would subject themselves to such humiliation is beyond me and not many at all get through.   Look at what TPTB are doing to Rand Paul.    Easy to blame the corrupt scum sucking individuals in DC, but honestly we voted them in and keep voting for them.    

But hey who cares, another bailout yesterday and the Fed says they'll keep the QE money in play, sorry kids its our party.