cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Theological question

Jesus commanded that we love our neighbor and through the parable of The Good Samaritan gave "neighbor" a fairly broadly encompassing definition- probably beyond the folks next door whose farm you hope to rent some day.

My question is, is it OK to hate King Herod, or maybe even his daughter Salome'*?

For whatever it might be worth, it isn't clear that Bonhoeffer hated Hitler. He wrote that he felt compelled to commit a mortal sin for the sake of future generations of Germans.

*who did after all request the head of Jesus' cousin John the Baptist on a silver platter. And Herod did engage in The Slaughter of the Innocents.

16 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Theological question

https://biblearchaeology.org/research/new-testament-era/2411-the-slaughter-of-the-innocents-historic...

Although problematic in some quarters, probably more folklore than truth. 

Although like a lot of the other stuff, it is meta-truth. It isn't true but it is.

But I'll stand by the belief that Herod wasn't a nice man.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Nothing wrong with a little killing in that old book.

How many millions did the god in that book kill?

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

You might, or might not, enjoy the second piece.

I'm fine with a new secular civic ethic, assuming it has rom to tolerate individual practice religion.

But the notion that there was an alternative that would have produced a better version of western civilization is highly speculative.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

While the Bible really doesn't suggest this at all when taken in entirety, there is a vein of thinking in the Christian western world that the earth was given to man to subjugate.

That is something that a new ethic could improve on, given that we've been fruitful and multiplied to an astonishing degree.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

You are seeking Divine permission to hate Trump and Republicans and if things get looted, busted up and burned in the process, that is the way the cookie crumbles, correct?  

I suppose in your mind if "Trump is a nazi" and "his supporters are fascists", perhaps you are attempting to plead insanity one day when you face the Lord? 

Quotes about Atrocities (103 quotes)

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Sheesh.

Project much?

20K lies and counting.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Whom in today`s culture were you referring to by this question?

SD Holloway asks: My question is, is it OK to hate King Herod, or maybe even his daughter Salome'*?

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

He is an exceedingly vile man, lacking a single redeeming virtue.

Anyone who refuses to see that has something wrong with them.

There's an interesting piece of rural culture schtick where people who can be judgmental as hell will turn on a dime and say "but who am I to judge?" if it suits their druthers.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

King Herod killed babies, President Trump nominates judges that are pro-life.  The Democrat party rejects Christianity, President Trump embraces our right to be Christians in our God given right.   

What kind of Christian President Trump is in his personal life neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.  I wouldn`t hold Biden up as some kind of model Christian, but that`s me, others can do the moral gymnastics to do as they see fit.