cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

There`s still black market pot in Colorado.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/4/marijuana-black-market-still-thrives-colorado-wher/   

And I think there always will be, it comes down to dollars, if pot is cheaper on the black market, that is where it will be bought.  I could actually see if the Colorado taxman gets too greedy, the "legal" pot stores will go out of business. 

If it`s legal to possess a certain amount of pot, all the buyer will have to do is no get caught buying untaxed pot...but after that they can legally smoke it right in front of a cop on their front lawn.

6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: There`s still black market pot in Colorado.

And your point is???
Senior Contributor

Bart - I have your answer here - All I had to do is change a couple of words:

And I think there always will be, it comes down to dollars, if moonshine is cheaper on the black market, that is where it will be bought.  I could actually see if the Colorado taxman gets too greedy, the "legal" liquor stores will go out of business. 

If it`s legal to possess a certain amount of liquor even in a dry county, all the buyer will have to do is no get caught buying untaxed liquor...but after that they can legally drink it right in front of a cop on their front lawn.

It reminded me so much about bootleggers in dry counties that I coldn't resist! Of course there will be non-licensed growers and sellers just like there will always be moonshiners and bootleggers. The main questions will eventually be answered as statistics on legalized marajuana pile up and get published.

Veteran Advisor

Those same thoughts went through my mind also but I wanted to hear what he was thinking. Same thing with knockoff purses, watches, etc.
Honored Advisor

Wasn`t the main selling point of pot legalization was to "make it legal, tax it and make the criminal element DRY UP"?    See, this isn`t like "moonshine" or "knockoff golf clubs", the pot dealer that safely got someone high every weekend for X amount of dollars will probably CONTINUE to providing that service as long as he isn`t priced out of the market by the "legal" pot store, which isn`t likely since the all "legal pot" means is that it`s taxed.

Right now in Colorado a cop can stop a car and they can have the pot sitting legally on the car dash in full view of the cop.  Where before the pot possessor had to at least try to hide his pot in a spare tire or something.

Senior Advisor

Wish I could find some black market chew.

Highlighted
Advisor

Yes Knapp, there are still moonshiners, a friend brought some at deer season, but the practice is a faint shadow of what it was during prohibition and the violence is gone.  The trade in tax free cigarettes is pretty vibrant from what I understand.