cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

This HAS to be a missprint.

snip-

The 12-inch-wide drill guided by a pilot hole half its diameter reached 2,070 feet beneath the surface, puncturing the top of a passage near the chamber in the San Jose copper and gold mine where the men have taken refuge.

The next step is to place a wider drill on the rig and start a hole 28 inches across — wide enough for the miners to get out.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/17/bore-hole-rescue-reaches-trapped-chilean-miners-weeks-wideni...

Them must be some skinny little guys down there.

9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: This HAS to be a missprint.

they are not plump americans....not sure how big they are, but some places in the world have very small people by american standards. I am 6-4 and was on a trip to the other side of the world where the only person bigger than I am was an ex-NBA basketball star that got off the plane when I did. I would guess that 80% of the men would be able to be pulled through a 28 inch hole , especially after several months of liquid diet like those miners are experiencing.

Senior Contributor

you go on a liquid diet for 60 days and live in a hot, dark , rock hole with dozens of other men I'll bet you could shrink down to 28" waist. Hell0, I would go for "26  so I have room for a belt.

Senior Advisor

Do you suppose they will come out alphabetically or will they make fat Albert come out last?

Advisor

Diameter-- not circumference, a 55 gal barrel is around 23 inches in diameter.  Circumference is the length around a circle, like your waist size, which is probably smaller than the circumference of you head, but I'm not sure that is true of some people around here.  Measure the distance across your shoulders, most doorways are about 28 inches across with trim.  

Senior Contributor

John, good read!  I believe you are right. My head has a larger circumference than my waist!

Pie times diameter=circumference

3.14 x 28" = 88"

Veteran Advisor

Re: Good catch John

I did not think that way until I read your post john but you are correct.

Actually if you read some other stories they are talking of it only being 66cm across for the final hole.

Not sure if that is inside the metal tube that they will install before pulling them out or not.

Convert that to the old measure and it will be around 26".

I see by the story that the miners have to haul the rubble from the drilling away as it falls down the original hole.

Kind of digging themselves out, I guess.

Senior Advisor

Thanks John, makes since, I knew there was something I was missing.

Veteran Contributor

Hey 3020 its a good thing you are not a tailor.

Senior Contributor

I hope none of the miners are claustrophobic.  My wife's father gets a bit uneasy in tight spaces and said he had about all he could handle while going through a CAT scan a couple years back.   It is estimated it take an hour for each miner to descend the 2200 feet back up to the surface which would seem like eternity for an ordinary person.  I would think stripping down and coating the miners with vegetable oil would help if they were worried about any squeezing through.

I'm thinking if this mining accident had taken place in the U.S. that FOX or would have cameras down in the mine by now and be broadcasting some type of reality show and National Geographic would be there filming a documentary as well.   No doubt there would be hundreds of news stations broadcasting from there 24/7.