cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

This format is horrible

Sorry SF, but I give you an "F" for coming up with this format.  First, you've somehow covered even MORE of the page with ads and other wasted space, forcing the use of small print that is hard to read in order to get anything worthwhile on the page.  Second, replies on indent about five times before forming a tab-line the rest of the way, so we dont have a clue who is responding to whom.  Third, only a few short threads or one medium length thread can fit on the home page...heck a long thread even carries over. 

Not user friendly...not easy to read.  I don't know why you wouldnt have stuck with your old site, and just made changes to allow the posting from blackberries, etc. 

13 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: This format is horrible

Hey Doc, maybe we should all vote with our fingers. If you like the other format better post on that, at the end of a month which ever fomat has the most posts is the winner? 

Senior Advisor

I would say the biggest problem with this site is it is not condensed enough. Everything else is workable, just need to get used to it. A long thread taking 2 or more pages is ridiculous.

Contributor

Replying to Doc...............First off, I'm of the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And I don't think the old format was broke. So I come in with an admitted closed mind. That being said, this format is just too far off the mark to even begin to interest me in getting up to speed with it. So thumbs down. I wonder why people nowadays think wholesale change rather than incremental change is the way to go?

( And if this is supposda be a gateway to get me into Facebook or this Twitter crap, they failed that also. And my cell phone is just that.....a phone!! It rings--I answer. Period. )

Advisor

You can fit more threads on a page by chosing linear format under board options, but the problem of knowing what posts are responding to is a mystery.    It makes the format unusable.   I think there are some very good improvements here, but you need to know who a post is a response to.

Frequent Contributor

I am beginning to agree.  three threads to a page isnt going to keep the activity up or encourage new threads.  I said early on I liked it.  What I liked was the new features, not the format.  I dont mind the new look.  I was ready for a change.  But more threads per page is a necessity to maintain any traffic here.

Honored Advisor

Some of my favorite theads take on sub plots. This format makes it harder to go off on another tangent. Though some may like limiting those diversions.
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pages Spilling Over

@r3020 wrote:

I would say the biggest problem with this site is it is not condensed enough. Everything else is workable, just need to get used to it. A long thread taking 2 or more pages is ridiculous.

With that, I would have to agree.... that is the one thing that is frustrating, you have to serf over three or four pages to see if you missed anything in the past 12 hours or so.  Something on page one can be bumped off in less than an hour or two.

My brother came up with a format, that was free, that is the best that I have seen yet.   You can see it on the website that he put together.....  http://talk.baledhay.com/

The nice part about it, is that it is clean, easy, you can read the first line or two of the post just by hovering your mouse over the thread header, and the best part..... it has a live Chat feature that lets users chat live on the board, in real time.   Maybe they will take a look at that format and get some ideas that they can use.

Advisor

Have you tried changing your settings? One way to do it is:

Under "Board Options" pulldown meno on the main page Ag Forum page, click on "Linear Format.

Or change your default settings in "My Settings" up by your name in top left of page. Click on Preferences there, then Display. Choose Linear layout.

This format might be preferable for long threads. See what you think. Thanks for hanging in there with us. -- John

Advisor

Hey John...just did that an it is better, but the order and linkage between replies is still awkward. But bettter.