cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: This is how hopeless balancing the US budget is.

@hobbyfarm2145365 wrote:

Tell me BA  what your net worth in land you enherite while collect ing  govt subsidies and handouts with out paying any thing in toward them. Do you think its awfully selfish to collect farm subsidies andf handouts  while selling  8.00 corn 17.00 beans!!!!   Tell me where is the money come from to pay for these up coming  govt paid crop ins claims....... borrow it or print it.  By god I want "my money" from a program I paid very little to nothing for..   Be proud farmers be proud      

This is big government in action.

Senior Advisor

Re: The concept is cooperation

Why do you buy insurance? I'd guess you want to share your risk with others. In return for sharing your risk you are willing to share in part their risk. Because hundreds or thousands of policy holder share  in the risk it limits losses.

So why wouldn't you want a larger insurance pool. There is strength in numbers. The larger the pool the less the risk.

In the case of medicare, everyone  pays in for decades before they realize any benefit. Premiums have risen for seniors but not at the rate of private insurers. Amazingly, they have not raised medicare tax rates compared to private insurers that have raised premium exponentially during the last couple of decades. A 50% increase would be about 1% increase on your fica taxes and would make medicare and medicaid solvent for decades. Perhaps you would rather exclude seniors with a few assets but where would you expect those seniors to pass off their risk/

Private insurers charge me more for the 20% supplementary than medicare charges me for the 80% coverage. So a 100% insurance policy would be how much. Well over 2000 a month for an individual 70 to 80 years old.

Medicare and medicaid are not taxing the sock off of you. It is a very modest cost for it offers. That is my social security. I paid the dues for 55 years, why not have expectations of a benefit?  I suppose it is ok with you if you invest in pension plan for 55 years and when benefit time comes they tell you that you don't need it.

Honored Advisor

All I can say is this Hobby, I`ve sold more corn under $1.50 than over $8 and so has anyone that has been farming over 10 years.  The Farm bill is whittling away with payments, most of the USDA budget has nothing to do with payments to farmers.  Most farmers don`t care if payments are done away with, now you can say "take your name off the list!"  and that is fine but I can`t think of a quicker way for BTOs to completely takeover, they wouldn`t waste time arguing with your nonsense, if you got in their way they would turn you into a grease spot on the road.  BTOs got where they are by taking advantage of every debt write-off, low interest gov`t loan, LDP, "proven" yield, "proven"corn base...if a older guy sneezes they are right there with a hanky and a farm rent lease.  See, I don`t think you really care about farm programs, you just use that as a "tool" to stiffle true debate on cutting all entitlements to make them more viable.   If I had to guess I would say that in real life you like farm subsidies because when you rent your land out one day, you will be bid more rent and you can collect subsidies by proxy. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I am for private insurance and if you can get into a pool through work or Farm Bureau and buy it cheaper ..Great!    Medicare actually is one of the big reasons that healthcare is so expensive today.  Old people go to the doctor for trivial reasons that clog the system. Also Medicare doesn`t pay the true cost of the patient and the rest of that cost isn`t just "eaten" by the clinic, it`s passed on to those that can pay full rate.  I know your doctor says "Don`t worry about me I`m making good money and yada yada"  that just shows that he`s a professional and doesn`t burden his patients with things they can`t do anything about.  I think all entitlements should be on the chopping block and yes farm subsidies too.  If  someone is poor we should help them, but if someone has the funds to take care of themselves they should have to pay their way.  I`m not counting on social security or medicare in 20 years, I don`t mind the money I pay in every year and won`t see a dime, I`m actually wanting those programs to continue long after I`m gone to help the truly needy.  If rich retirees just spoil their Grandkids with their SS check that`s all fun and cute, but there are plenty folks that could actually use that extra money. 

Veteran Advisor

BA, I would like to see Don need an operation like a Shoulder rebuild and see him get a medicare doctor to approve it and Medicare to pay for it. We already see rationing that way...just had a neighbor get told that he was too old to have his shoulder redone.

Senior Advisor

You are never too old to have your shoulder repaired,never! What could happen is that you shoulder is in such bad condition that a good result is not possible.

My mother in law in her 90's had a broken hip. My wife was her power of attorney and was advised that she would not survive the surgery. Surgeons were prepared to do it and medicare would have paid for it. So the age claim is pure unadulterated BS!

Don has had more than a few claims on medicare and a private supplemental. You get good care and good coverage and you wish that single payer was available for everyone. BTW by the time you are in your sixties with all the difficulty that age provides, you will be so greatful for medicare because you cannot afford those horrendous premiums for senior insurance. Yes that experience is coming to you and you cannot avoid it. You best get onboard to keep medicare healthy. Support it now or it will crap out for lack of support. BTW your most avid and out spoken politician is not pushing his chair away from medicare. He has bellied up to the trough and taken advantage of that wonderful plan. And squeel he would if you suggest he be made inelgible because he is affluent. He will think he has earned it as have I. We owe no apology for insurance we paid for.

Senior Advisor

You can't get in apool at age 60 and get a low rate. It is not available in the insurance market. Likely you will remain in the insurance pool you are in where claims keep growing with no other opions available. 9 years ago we were paying $1645 per month for private health insurance before we qualified for medicare.

Educate youself on what lies before you. Without medicare, you will have UNAFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE! You best prepare for that because you are rooting for your own financial demise.

Senior Advisor

Explain the difference between todays elderly and tomorrows? The elderly of tomorrow will face the same challenges as the elderly of today. The voucher system will not inflate like medical costs. Seniors will pay more for less coverage in the future and they will be dealing with private insurers that are notorious for raising rates and covering less.

Your best choice is to back current medicare and vote to raise revenues to support it. You are cutting your own financial throat not mine.

Senior Contributor

Re: budget can be balanced--not by obalmo

in 1 year and it is easy---and NO TAX increases--so the only way it is hopeless is with obalmos policy

Veteran Advisor