cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: This would make the choice a lot easier

al you can just believe that if it makes you feel better about your inadequate system but if you re interested in the truth and facts you could take a look at this article.

It even has a graph that shows you how many few actually do cross the border and I know from a family experience that some that do go to the US from Canada have expenses paid by our system to access new procedures that are no available in their locality yet.

https://www.vox.com/2016/10/9/13222798/canadians-seeking-medical-care-us-trump-debate

The most comprehensive look at the issue was published in Health Affairs in 2002. Entitled "Phantoms in the Snow," researchers gathered data on Canadians’ use of the US health care system by surveying US border facilities and America’s top-rated hospitals about how often they see Canadians seeking health care. They found this happened rarely.

They also tracked Canadians' behaviors by examining data from the National Population Health Survey, where 18,000 Canadians were asked if they sought medical treatment in the US. "Only 90 of those 18,000 Canadians had received care in the United States; only 20 of them had done so electively."

I was going to look up the number of US citizens that do not have health insurance and the number of those that do without adequate care because of that but I will let you do that research.

I do know it is many millions and the number is rising over the last couple years.

So you can just believe but I am well satisfied with our system and the $0 it costs us in premiums each year.

Senior Advisor

Vox!!!!!!! You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!! What a joke.HEE HEE HEE.

Tell me Canuck, why is it you are able to post a snip from an article and not have the thread deleted when no one else can?

Frequent Contributor

You don't see Americans crossing the boarder for your health care. You need to re think your opinion of your health care system.

Senior Contributor

One of the problems for doctors and hospitals particularly close to US border are US citizens who show up for care and then skip out on paying.

https://www.tvo.org/article/why-canadian-hospitals-are-struggling-to-get-paid-by-american-patients

“When patients from another country come to one of our emergency departments or urgent care centres, our top priority is to provide them with safe, quality care, regardless of their financial situation,” says Niagara Health spokesperson Steven Gallagher.

Canadian physicians have a responsibility to treat any patient, insured or not, whether they are Canadian, American, or from anywhere else. But this can mean that health-care providers are left chasing down payment long after the patient has gone home.

“The hospital has to absorb that [loss],” says Mark Fathers, Windsor Regional Hospital’s chief financial officer.

Niagara Health’s hospital in Niagara Falls, Ontario, treated 1,560 out-of-country patients last year. The hospital tries to collect payment before the patient leaves the hospital, Gallagher says, but when this isn’t possible, the hospital will bill the patient or insurance provider directly. If that fails, it employs collection agencies.

And I know of a US veteran married to a neighbour.

They lived in US during winter and Canada during summer BUT they returned a couple times during winter for medical care for him and spent the entire year in Canada the past couple years as he needed regular care.

Senior Advisor

Tell me Canuck, why can you post a snip for an article and it is never deleted but if anyone else does it is quickly deleted many times with the entire thread?

Senior Contributor

3020   I have no idea.

i just post it the way I have for many years.

I use sources that are public and credit the source.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So do I.

Senior Contributor

3020  just came across this site with survey results and thought you might find it interesting

http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Care-Net-Final-Presentation-Report-Revised.pdf

Study of Women who have had an Abortion and Their Views on Church

Senior Advisor

What makes your life more precious than a child still in the womb?

Senior Contributor

Just to point out your misuse of words........if in the womb a child would be dead because it could no longer breathe and if it had not yet drawn a breath it would still be a fetus.

do you deliberately misuse words to try to mislead people?