cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Thomas Sowell on men/women pay

I wonder if Michelle Obama was paid less than a man when she had the 300K/year hospital job in Chicago.

snip-

Even when women and men work at jobs that have the same title  -- whether doctors, lawyers, economists or whatever -- people do not get paid for what their job title is, but for what they actually do.

Women lawyers who are pregnant, or who have young children, may have good reasons to prefer a 9 to 5 job in a government agency to working 60 hours a week in a high-powered law firm. But there is no point comparing male lawyers as a group with female lawyers as a group, if you don't look any deeper than job titles.

Unless, of course, you are not looking for the truth, but for political talking points to excite the gullible.

Even when you compare women and men with the "same" education, as measured by college or university degrees, the women usually specialize in a very different mix of subjects, with very different income-earning potential.

Although comparing women and men who are in fact comparable is not easy to do, when you look at women and men who are similar on multiple factors, the sex differential in pay shrinks drastically and gets close to the vanishing point. In some categories, women earn more than men with the same range of characteristics.

If the 77 percent statistic was for real, employers would be paying 30 percent more than they had to, every time they hired a man to do a job that a woman could do just as well. Would employers be such fools with their own money? If you think employers don't care about paying 30 percent more than they have to, just go ask your boss for a 30 percent raise!

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2014/04/15/statistical-frauds-n1824357/page/full

8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Thomas Sowell on men/women pay

Liberals are very good at feigning ignorance on this women pay issue, or at least I think they aren`t that stupid.   Walmart or any business isn`t going to pay someone 23% more just because they have a peniis dangling between their legs, as a matter of fact a man that does his job well may not be paid enough because a company that has to keep up the facade of "equal pay".

On the higher end of careers, there is "negotiations" involved in pay. We know a web page designer that`s been in a hot market, even through the recession.  He was kept so busy at his old job, he didn`t have time to check his E-mail of a job offer from a competitor at a much higher salary, it was a old e-mail and the job was gone.  But that got him to looking and putting his name out there...well he got his new job at a still much higher salary, his old employer hated to lose him but just couldn`t match the new offer.  Now, there aren`t that many women in those recession proof jobs and if someone has a employer with their head in the sand and you blindly put your nose to the grindstone..you won`t be fairly compensated.

It`s new rules, in the old days the only game in town would be a "IBM" they would pay well and you had job security.  These days you can be let go on a dime, but when things are in your favor you have to look out for #1, because your boss is looking out for his #1.   Some women that do make it to those levels perhaps don`t have the needed negotiation skills in today`s workforce.  A man can just as easily fall into that trap.

Senior Advisor

Re: The lower pay is an ancient american tradition

We pay men more because they have a family to support! That is where and when it started and modern day businessmen refuse any suggestion of increasing anyone salary. They don't consider that their woman employee may be the prominant bread winner in the family, while her lousy husband broke their marriage contract and is off romancing some other chick!

Senior Contributor

Then the man that broke his marriage contract as you say, will need an increase in pay because he has two families to feed now.

Senior Advisor

Not really! He just might forget the first family as he did my daughter for over 20 years.

Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

Not really! He just might forget the first family as he did my daughter for over 20 years.

Was it a forced marriage? Did she not choose her spouse?

Senior Contributor

Good point! Kraft's daughter was probably hell to live with.

Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

Your daughter needs to invest in some farm equipment then you could hire her to farm your ground and pay her more than you would a man......Oh......wait......that would be illegal under the 1963 equal pay act.

Senior Advisor

Actually, her first husband was bible toting godly man. He was a highly paid individual in a family business. His problem was he was a control freak and all that entails.

Yes he is decades behind in support payment but my daughter won't pursue it. You see she is a godly person as well and doesn't want to raise a ruckus. Her godly exhusband knows exactly how much is due to her but the checks haven't come in over 20 years.

BTW my daughter has raised her kids in the christian faith. They have both graduated from high shool . One is a Registered nurse with a four year degree and the other is one year short of that.

I won't tell you the rest of the dirt but the basterd is **bleep** lucky not to be in jail!