cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Those marines

I suppose everyone has heard of those marines in Afghanistan by now and their 'actions' with bodies.

Lots of discussion about trivial things but none on this so far and yet it is by far more important to all of you and your country as well as mine and others that have been in Afghanistan.

The repercussions are going to be long lasting and not helpfull.

So what can be done to try to make amends?

This article has good comments in it that we all should take note of

Why do you think this behaviour manifests itself, even after enemy soldiers have been killed?

It begs one question: Have we not been in Afghanistan too long, when we start to see 'the enemy' in such inhuman terms? Our best-before date is over when we can no longer ensure discipline, respect and our value system is being carried out by these young men. And to say that this is only four individuals, I think, would be blind to perhaps a below-surface bigger problem. And the bigger problem is: What the hell are we doing here? If we haven't accomplished what we wanted to in 10 years, it's time to bring the guys back home.

Is there anything in the way that soldiers are trained that might inadvertently encourage this kind of behaviour?

I don't think so, I really don't think so. Soldiers come from our villages, our homes. They're your cousins and nephews and nieces. We encourage, not unlike a hockey team, esprit de corps and camaraderie and loyalty and mission first, and all of these have served us well — in any army, whether it's the Chinese 5,000 years ago or the French foreign legion or the marines. You're asking a lot of these young men — mostly — to put their life on the line and to basically be self-reliant.

[This behaviour] can be explained, and you can rationalize it, if you're in the middle of an intense exchange of fire where you're losing people, you're losing weapons, you've just been shot down, you got half your platoon killed. It's perfectly human, with someone who has been captured, to really want to express your anger or your fury. But the mark between a goon and a professional soldier is, a professional soldier will only use violence for a legal means.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/12/f-analysis-marine-video.html

38 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Those marines

@Canuck_2 wrote:

I suppose everyone has heard of those marines in Afghanistan by now and their 'actions' with bodies.

Heck, I would have pissed on them myself and if I had to take a bowel movement, would have done so and wiped my butt with their rag hats.

One thing that I would not have done, was to let anyone take a picture of me doing it.

Senior Advisor

When I'm outside and take a piss I always face east.

Veteran Advisor

@r3020 wrote:

LOL! Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

Millie you obviously do not comprehend what those marines have done to efforts in Afghanistan. Efforts that have cost thousands of US and other western nations soldiers lives plus hundreds of thousands of Afghan lives.

A stupid antic like that has wasted so much and there was not much good left to be wasted there.

Now what do you think should happen to those marines and their leaders?

I have heard it reported in the media that treatment of the ded like that could lead to war crimes charges.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

You know even a fool knows not to piss facing east in an east wind.

Veteran Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Millie you obviously do not comprehend what those marines have done to efforts in Afghanistan. Efforts that have cost thousands of US and other western nations soldiers lives plus hundreds of thousands of Afghan lives.

A stupid antic like that has wasted so much and there was not much good left to be wasted there.

Now what do you think should happen to those marines and their leaders?

I have heard it reported in the media that treatment of the ded like that could lead to war crimes charges.

The purpose of the military is to kill those whom are shooting at us and to break things.

I would love to buy those guys a cold beer or anything else that they would like once stateside.

I suppose that the military brass is going to crap a gold brick because they have been converted to a bunch of sissy-fied tinkerbelles by the democrap regime in power, currently.

Senior Advisor

Sometimes I have to stand on the west side of a building.

Senior Advisor

They didn't drag them through the street until the disintegrate or hang them from a bridge. They didn't get any worse treatment than gadiffi.

Veteran Contributor

Re: Vote Ron Paul

the best way to make ammends is to vote Ron Paul and bring our troops home.  I know alot of you on this forum don't mind doing this kind of nonesense to "them" but what would you do and how would you feel if foreign troops occupied our country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKfuS6gfxPY