cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Those trapped miners

Can't imagine what it would be like to be underground that long or what it must have been like when the first bore hole found them.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/08/25/f-chile-mine.html

8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Those trapped miners

The good news is some experts predict they can drill the rescue holes in weeks instead of months.   I see where after a couple of weeks when they finally located the miners the miners still had some of their two days worth of emergency food rations left do to some very strict rationing.    

Veteran Advisor

Yes having some supplies left indicates they have some good leadership and organization in the group and that bodes well for them.

With 2 small holes now and a third on the way they will be better able to last until a bigger hole allows them to get out.

Lots of different ideas on how long it will take and how they could do it different/better but the ones on site have to be the ones to make the decisions and have the best estimated time.

Hopefully all goes well and they are out quickly.

Senior Advisor

They were told not to gain any weight. The hole for requires requires a 35 inch waist.

Veteran Advisor

I heard that a couple of them are too big right now so I would imagine they are going to do very little eating and something to burn cals.

Senior Contributor

It has to be frustrating to have 6 inch holes drilled down to them but not be able to squeeze up out of them to freedom.

Senior Advisor

I'm somewhat surprised that these guys even want to rescue them. After all they are just common laborers and maybe have a union contract. Do you suppose they get regular pay or over time while they are down there? Or it may well be that it is chalked off as vacation time or sick leave. 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

By christmas they should have all their vacation time used up. Back to work for them. Enough time being lazy.

Hows that Kraft. What you would expect?

I'm sure you are hoping they pay their taxes though. Being down there surely doesn't absolve them from taxes.

Veteran Advisor

@Kraftedbydemocrats wrote:

By christmas they should have all their vacation time used up. Back to work for them. Enough time being lazy.

Hows that Kraft. What you would expect?

I'm sure you are hoping they pay their taxes though. Being down there surely doesn't absolve them from taxes.

Think they will be out of luck on the overtime and will HAVE to go back to work. No vacation pay either since I understand the company that owns the mine is bankrupt now.

It is a State owned mining company that is drilling the rescue hole.

Maybe they will feel like they won the lottery when they get to see the sky again.