cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsbs
Advisor

Thoughtful Buchanan Essay

Reflections on the changes in America.

https://townhall.com/columnists/patbuchanan/2017/11/03/their-america-and-ours-n2404076

we went from jailing and shooting communists to electing them.

6 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Thoughtful Buchanan Essay

Pat's mostly reduced to picking at scabs to support himself.

A monument has three lives- the politics of when it was erected, the meaning it conveyed during its existence and the politics of the present.

In the case of Lee the answer is clear- those monuments were erected in the era of Jim Crow as symbols of white supremacy, pore 'ol Bob notwithstanding. That creates the context of the present.

I sorta think that the ruling on the cross is a bit overzealous but the same logic applies- it was erected in 1925 when crosses were once again burning across the nation- and well into the north- in our last major outbreak of nativism.

And, oh yeah, The War on Christmas, and the Russian Facebook Fake News that black people don't like Santa. I'm thinking those rooskies keep a couple captive American idiots in cages to use as test subjects.

hardnox
Advisor

Actually they don't need test subjects. The WWW is open and they can just check places like this to find out what lights people up.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Once the book burners get started it's hard to get them stopped. they have no problem burning the American flag but the communist manifesto is sacred.

hardnox
Advisor

romantic primitivism

Most of them already have been, or should be. I'm referring to those 1950-60s US History texts that portrayed the Civil War as a glorious contest between equivalent systems and happy filed hands singin' while they chopped cotton.

That was all spun that way in service of our Great Power aspirations- which had been met- and helped keep us together to fight the Nazis and Commies.

Those portrayals were about 90% slanted or false but they still underpin the mythology of The Folk about their exceptionalism.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: romantic primitivism

So put you down in the pro book burner crowd.

hardnox
Advisor

Re: romantic primitivism

Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States is a book, and, I'll generously offer you that the portrayal of those events that it offers is at least as accurate as those government approved texts that I referenced. The Mitchmeister banned it from Indiana schools and state universities.

And I guess that millions of copies of Das Kapital still exist in print.

Although I understand your need to cling to your false historical narrative and to stand straw men up in defense of it.