cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Thoughts on TPP

FWIW, my view is that we let China do what they're going to do (do we really have a choice?)- New Silk Road, infrastructure bank, etc. China will be the eurasian economic power.

The US should look to be the obvious central power in a western hemisphere economic bloc.

In 2000 the US enjoyed the highest regard in the rest of the hemisphere that we ever had but we squandered a lot of the good will.

As far as TPP and the "pivot to asia, I don't really see that going so well. But I do think we need to make sure that we don't entirely abandon out traditional allies there either.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

No they do not.  Will the min. wage be the same across borders?  Will environmental regs be the same?  No they will not.  

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Minimum wages are not the same in all Canadian provinces.

Trade pacts do require all partners to come to certain standards in different areas like environment and in the case of TPP workers rights.

What trade agreements still can not prevent is one partner trying to do some kind of an end run and then dragging out the trade barrier repeal for years going through all the international trade courts like the US did with COOL legislation but the trade agreement was eventually reinstated after what is considered a billion $ loss to Canadian meat producers over the many years it took to get it corrected.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

So, Ontario's min wage is 10 and manitoba is .05? Or are they pretty close.

You'll have to show me the text of the tpp that makes the min wage and regulatory environment of vietnam essentially the same as the usa.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Did you miss where I said there is no rule about minimum wage?

You do realize that there are parts of your country that has no minimum wage while other parts do.

You might find this interesting to read from Britian.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38060980

America is an Asian power when it wants to be, Beijing will suggest, while China is the power that never leaves. As Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong warned bluntly on a visit to Washington in August, TPP put America's "reputation on the line" with its partners in the region.
Ministers from 12 countries at the TPP signing in Auckland (Feb 2016)Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image caption
The TPP took more than a decade of tough negotiations
"Each one of them has overcome some domestic political objection, some sensitivity, some political cost to come to the table and make this deal," Mr Lee said.
"If at the end, waiting at the altar, the bride doesn't arrive, I think that people are going to be very hurt."

Today US diplomats can't have it both ways in Asia. After telling partners that pushing through TPP was bolstering American leadership in the region, the obvious conclusion must be that reversing TPP is undermining US leadership. And into this perceived leadership vacuum, China itself is ready to move.
Already at the APEC summit in Peru last weekend, Chinese President Xi Jinping told fellow regional leaders it was time for strong partnerships, win-win solutions and strategic initiatives.