cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Throwing in the sponge on Covid?

My dear wife offered back in the early summer that the public would play along for a while but as school started and holidays began to loom on the horizon the will would wane. 

Seeing no reason to question that now.  Lots of masks. Not much else.  State Governments being run over by highly persistent Mommies of HS kids.  

Vaccine after a while for those who want to take it.  Probably more simply willing to let the tail go with the hide than get it. 

No clue how it’s going to play into electoral politics but at some point the GQP are surely going to take the surging numbers and pose them as a failure of any proactive measures that have been taken.

9 Replies
Edmund55
Senior Contributor

Re: Throwing in the sponge on Covid?

(My dear wife offered back in the early summer that the public would play along for a while but as school started and holidays began to loom on the horizon the will would wane.           Seeing no reason to question that now.  Lots of masks. Not much else.  State Governments being run over by highly persistent Mommies of HS kids.)  

And your wife's opinion on rioting, looting and burning by anarchist blm'ers and anteefers - err I mean "peaceful protesters"?

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Judging from the near bumper to bumper parade of cars and heavy trucks on the main arteries of travel in MN, our state is "open for business" in spite of Kim Jong Walz trying to close things down.

The movers and shakers in MN never stopped working. Most even found time to erect their Trump/Pence 2020 KAGA signs.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

My county had very few numbers of Covid, until they small college opened late summer.  Now county cases are spiking, almost tripling in the last month, even a professor friend at the school caught it.   Janet Napolitano can go all over saying "are you better off than 4 yrs ago?" all she wants, but until they say what exactly they would`ve done differently, that doesn`t fly.  

I mean with the college, kids coming in from all over the country and world would a "president Biden" shut it down?  Okay, then how would he deal with the economic consequences?

Nancy Pelosi on Twitter: "The truth is that in January Donald Trump was  warned about this pandemic, ignored those warnings, took insufficient  action and caused unnecessary death and disaster."

r3020
Senior Advisor

What? You predict the repubs are going to politicize covid? No one could stoop that low could they.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

What? You predict the repubs are going to politicize covid? No one could stoop that low could they.

Lol, no one would do that.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Serious spikes in Europe, trumps fault I'm sure.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Some places in Europe are doing pretty well, some are not. There would be useful lessons to be learned there rather than trying to make propaganda points.

Similar in US too, though. Even though the US spike is much worse than the aggregated EU, it is also very uneven.

Since there is no coordinated Federal response other than to obfuscate and shift blame and it is up to the states you can actually glean something there.

One takeaway would be that red state governors in states with chronic positive rates well above 10% are trying to murder their constituents for political gain (gain being only fear of Trump and his Base).

The outlier there is WI, with a D Gov and GOP legislature and courts. It does border on the seething territory of red state pestilence but so does MN, which is doing passably well considering.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The spikes in France and Spain appear to be a Sturgis "freedom" type thing. Being a knucklehead isn't something Americans have a monopoly on.

They're the destinations for the universal entitlement to European summer holidays, along with home to millions of participants.

Italy stayed more closed and is doing much better.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Italy is one of the "i" in PIIGS, what do they have to lose in shutting down?

2-19-20: Europe Will Recover … When PIGS Fly - Navellier