cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Tim Cook vs the FBI

Tim Cook will not aid in tapping into the San Bernardino terroists` I-Phone...okay I caucused for Rand Paul, so I appreciate privacy issues.  However the terrorists obviously committed a terrible crime and they are dead, I think an exception could be made in a multiple murder/terrorist case.

But here is the question posed on Rush Limbaugh today:   Tim Cook is a rabid homosexual activist, he blackmailed entire states over gay issues.   Okay, let`s say that a serial killer that specifically targeted gay people could only be stopped if Tim Cook allowed a I-Phone to be tapped into, would Tim Cook still respect the serial killer`s privacy?  ...knock yourselves out answering that one, libs  Smiley Very Happy  

http://www.voanews.com/content/judge-orders-apple-to-help-fbi-access-california-shooter-phone/319435...

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/02/17/the_fbi_vs_apple

43 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Tim Cook vs the FBI

@BA Deere wrote:

Tim Cook will not aid in tapping into the San Bernardino terroists` I-Phone...okay I caucused for Rand Paul, so I appreciate privacy issues.  However the terrorists obviously committed a terrible crime and they are dead, I think an exception could be made in a multiple murder/terrorist case.

But here is the question posed on Rush Limbaugh today:   Tim Cook is a rabid homosexual activist, he blackmailed entire states over gay issues.   Okay, let`s say that a serial killer that specifically targeted gay people could only be stopped if Tim Cook allowed a I-Phone to be tapped into, would Tim Cook still respect the serial killer`s privacy?  ...knock yourselves out answering that one, libs  Smiley Very Happy  

http://www.voanews.com/content/judge-orders-apple-to-help-fbi-access-california-shooter-phone/319435...

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/02/17/the_fbi_vs_apple

He's done it before.

snip-

Apple CEO Tim Cook declared on Wednesday that his company wouldn’t comply with a government search warrant to unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino killers, a significant escalation in a long-running debate between technology companies and the government over access to people’s electronically-stored private information.

But in a similar case in New York last year, Apple acknowledged that it could extract such data if it wanted to. And according to prosecutors in that case, Apple has unlocked phones for authorities at least 70 times since 2008. (Apple doesn’t dispute this figure.)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/17/apple-unlocked-iphones-for-the-feds-70-times-before...

bruce MN
Advisor

A guy you've probably heard of writing at the evil HuffPo agrees:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-cuban/apple-fbi-privacy_b_9263142.html

briand85207
Friend

Don't believe it has anything to do with respecting terrorism rather everyone who owns a smart phone. I think would tell the fbi that yeah we can write a program to do that but it will take some time and the only way it can be used is here in our labs once the program unlocks that iPhone the program self destructs. Who would the alphabet agencies to have a program like that
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Unlocking an iPhone must be simple.  You can't honestly tell me that there aren't a lot of people out there who forget their passcode, at least when they first get their phones, or first set their passcode.  It might even be as simple as taking the battery out of it, I really don't know.  However, I would expect it to be a simple process if I were to forget my passcode, and take my phone to my provider to have it reset.  Maybe I'm wrong on this, it hasn't happened to me, yet.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@briand85207 wrote:
Don't believe it has anything to do with respecting terrorism rather everyone who owns a smart phone. I think would tell the fbi that yeah we can write a program to do that but it will take some time and the only way it can be used is here in our labs once the program unlocks that iPhone the program self destructs. Who would the alphabet agencies to have a program like that

I would think it could be done with the proper search warrant. If it does not deserve a search warrant no unlocking of the phone. Can't see how it is different than searching a home. What I can't believe is the FBI or NSA doesn't have anyone capable of unlocking the phone without the help of apple.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Rather than Apple handing over a hack that will open everyone's I-phone, I don't see why Apple can't just hack that ONE and give the FBI the code for THAT phone only. The FBI just needs the four digits and nothing else IMO.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

They could BUT the iPhone will lock up forever, wipe itself clean after 3 failed attempts to enter the pass code.  Very doubtful they could hit in one of the first e tries.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I would agree that this is a "one time" deal and Apple probably should open it up...I mean a multiple murder, terrorism and the perpetrataitors are dead.  That checks all the boxes of a no-brainer that Apple should help the FBI.

But I hear alot of conflicting accounts about this, some are saying that the governmentwants "backdoors" built in all phones and that`s really what they`re asking for.  Some say if Apple capitulates even just this little bit, it`s the camel`s nose and their crediblity is shot and it`ll lead to their eventual bankruptcy.  So, alot behind the scenes here and it`s worldwide.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

I would agree that this is a "one time" deal and Apple probably should open it up...I mean a multiple murder, terrorism and the perpetrataitors are dead.  That checks all the boxes of a no-brainer that Apple should help the FBI.

But I hear alot of conflicting accounts about this, some are saying that the governmentwants "backdoors" built in all phones and that`s really what they`re asking for.  Some say if Apple capitulates even just this little bit, it`s the camel`s nose and their crediblity is shot and it`ll lead to their eventual bankruptcy.  So, alot behind the scenes here and it`s worldwide.

Apple doesn't need to build a back door if this is done with a search warrant. Search warrant, unlock the phone. No search warrant the phone stays as is.