cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Tim Cook vs the FBI

Apple wants to drag their feet as long as possible to give at least the apperance of having their customer`s back.   But if a serial killer of gays was on the loose and could be stopped by unlocking the IPhone, it would be unlocked minutes after the FBI requested it.

I don`t have anything to hide on my Droid, so all this high tech stuff doesn`t affect me, but the Libertarian privacy crowd want Apple to hang tough.  Even Rush did close to a 180 on his position from Tuesday afternoon to his Wednesday program, kind of siding with Apple against big government.

smokeyjay
Advisor

It's not so much about a passcode, but the encryption of the phone signal and data. And, the encryption is the same for all phones of that brand. It opens the back door for any phone, therefore, a potential total violation of everyone's privacy. 

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

Simple lock up the Apple CEO until they comply.

smokeyjay
Advisor

There is a problem with the author's proposed solution. The FBI can simply create circumstances that fulfill the exceptions and therefore get access to the information they want.  Conclusion; there is no fail safe solution that protects a citizen and his/her privacy rights. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

The simplest solution would be to put an agent on TDY with the phone to Apple.   Have him stay there while Apple tries to get a program that removes the 3 false attempt code and they find the code.  Once they find the code, unlock the phone, delete the program and give the agent back the phone and send him home.   FBI gets to snoop in that phone but only that phone and Apple has fulfilled it's patriotic duty.  Problem solved!!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

John McAfee offers to hack terrorist phone

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/john-mcafee-offers-to-hack-terrorists-iphone-for-fbi/ar-BBp...

Heres a Alex jone interview with McAfee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBPdaRm-xY 

I wonder if "they" can`t already unlock the phone, it`s just "they" want the people to accept the unlocking phones?

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: John McAfee offers to hack terrorist phone

I think it's very likely what smokeyjay said earlier -- they likely can unlock the phone for the FBI, but the FBI wants to know HOW.  Plus, since Apple has already said that it isn't possible without writing special 'malware" code to essentially hack into it, they would be caught in outright lies to FBI and all of us, if it turns out that they could already unlock the phone without doing anything special.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@WCMO wrote:

I think it's very likely what smokeyjay said earlier -- they likely can unlock the phone for the FBI, but the FBI wants to know HOW.  Plus, since Apple has already said that it isn't possible without writing special 'malware" code to essentially hack into it, they would be caught in outright lies to FBI and all of us, if it turns out that they could already unlock the phone without doing anything special.

Curious part is apple doesn't dispute the FBI's claim they have done this 70 times before. Question is what is different this time.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Read somewhere that it is part of Apple's marketing strategy.  They want to distinguish themselves apart from other companies that clearly allow/sell access, tracking or other info for marketing and advertising purposes.  Apple was just picking and choosing what they perceived as the most appropriate opportunity to confront the authorities.  This case gives them a lot of free press coverage.  It could backfire on them.  The FBI looking thru whatever might be on that cell phone is really no different than the FBI looking thru their house, computer, photo albums, video/CD collection, personal files, underwear drawer, whatever.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@WCMO wrote:

Read somewhere that it is part of Apple's marketing strategy.  They want to distinguish themselves apart from other companies that clearly allow/sell access, tracking or other info for marketing and advertising purposes.  Apple was just picking and choosing what they perceived as the most appropriate opportunity to confront the authorities.  This case gives them a lot of free press coverage.  It could backfire on them.  The FBI looking thru whatever might be on that cell phone is really no different than the FBI looking thru their house, computer, photo albums, video/CD collection, personal files, underwear drawer, whatever.

I think that is a well stated and very true comment. I think a search warrant would give them proper authority but I am very cautious about forcing ant company to give up privacy. Probably part of the problem might be the privacy of those who were contacted by the phone and not the privacy of the dead terrorist. Anyone who was contacted by the terrorist might automatically be put on a terrorist watch list. Future terrorist could use that tactic to create as much chaos as possible after they kill themselves. Don't know if it's true, just some thoughts.