cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smokeyjay
Advisor

Re: Tim Cook vs the FBI

Mr. Cook was just on Charlie Rose. He repeated that allowing access to the encrypted data will give access not only to the good guys, but also the bad guys. The iPhone and iPad were given the new encryption software one year ago.  My question is, does an updated version on the older models also contain that encryption?

WCMO
Senior Advisor

I have an older iPhone that has been updated, and has the passcode system like the attached article has described.  It has a setting to automatically erase the entire phone after 10 failed attempts to get the correct passcode.  I don't really have anything to hide, so just in case I'm suddenly stupid, I have that feature turned off.

Every phone that runs on iOS 9, according to the attached article.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/encryption-isnt-at-stake-the-fbi-knows-apple-already-has-the-de...

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: John McAfee offers to hack terrorist phone

You have no problem with the evil empire unlocking your phone whenever it wants to and reading your notes, checking your bank accounts, looking at your pix, etc?  The problem is not how long it would take NSA and it's Cray computers to find the 4 digit combination to unlock the phone.  The problem is that the program is set stop functioning after 3 failed attempts to unlock it.  Very doubtful that they would hit the correct one in just 3 tries.  That is what the FBI wants them to change. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Well, don't you know that Cook is really a closet undercover ISIS agent and secret lover of Obama and there is a top secret code within each Apple IOS system that will activate on the Eve of Mohammed's next birthday that will turn all iPhone owners into Muslim ISIS zombies who will then kill all conservative rednecks?  Run, Forest, RUN!!

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I'm really surprised that the world's second smartest man hasn't weighed in on how to circumvent Mr Cook's attempt to stop the FBI (evil empire) from learning how to unlock any iPhone they wish.  Between Craig and his alledged brother, they should know everything about any computer now and those yet to come.

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

The key here is it is a terrorist phone.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

So, you're OK with the Evil Empire having the ability to unlock your phone and everyone else's?  FBI doesn't want the code for this phone, they really want to know HOW to do it so they can do it whenever and to anyone they wish.  I said earlier that the phone would wipe itself after 3 wrong tries but it is 10 tries.  I think the only thing Apple should do is get that phone and write the program, unlock it, delete the program and give it back to the FBI.  Problem solved.  By giving the FBI the ability to. Do this by themselves would affect every mobile device in the world by any manufacturer.  Don't think they should have that ability!

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

I am ok with them snooping on a terrorist phone. I am ok with them torturing a terrorist. I am ok with them executing a terrorist and if you happen to be an American citizen suspected of being a terrorist I am ok with them hacking their phone to prove guilt or innocence. Again the key word is terrorist. What normally happens to a traitor in the military? We don’t protect them. If you are a piece of crap expect to be treated like one.

bruce MN
Advisor

Thing is, however, to many a paranoiac, everyone outside their bubble is a terrorist.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

I'm really surprised that the world's second smartest man hasn't weighed in on how to circumvent Mr Cook's attempt to stop the FBI (evil empire) from learning how to unlock any iPhone they wish.  Between Craig and his alledged brother, they should know everything about any computer now and those yet to come.

There is no such thing as a 'secure' electronic device in use by the general Populace. Those on the 'ground floor' of developing the Internet left plenty of "keys" under the "welcome mat" of the cyber world. 

With that said, those Internet developers do have special encryption programs to protect their devices.