cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Time for Mr Kraft to give up part of his social security

The UN needs it to help the world's poor. Other wise they may revolt.

snip-

The United Nations, which marked a "World Day of Social Justice" on Sunday, Feb. 20, is calling for a "new era" in which all the people of the world have access to basic services and "decently" paying jobs.

According to the U.N., 80 percent of the world’s people lack “adequate social protection.”

To eliminate the problem, the U.N. is trying to establish what it calls a global "social protection floor."  Such a “floor” would guarantee food security, health services for all, and old-age pensions for the 80 percent of the world’s people believed to lack such protections.

In his message urging “social justice for all,” U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said, “No one should live below a certain income level, and everyone should have access to essential public services such as water and sanitation, health and education.”

Juan Somavia, the U.N.’s International Labour Organization (ILO) director-general, said the recent protests in the Middle East show the linkage between social justice and national stability: “As Tunisia and Egypt are showing us, jobs and justice, bread and dignity, protection and democracy, national and global security are not unrelated demands,” Somavia said in his message ahead of World Social Justice Day. “What happens in the future will very much depend on whether the connections are recognized and acted upon.”

That floor would rest on four “entitlements,” the U.N. said, as follows:

-- basic income security for children;
-- access to some social assistance for people of working age that prevents them from falling into absolute food poverty;
-- a basic old-age pension for people over a certain age;
-- and essential health services for all.

http://www.cnsnews.com/node/81678

7 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Time for Mr Kraft to give up part of his social security

Tell us.  Is your source for it or against it?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Tell us.  Is your source for it or against it?

Can't tell can ya?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I just want you to know that this Mr. Kraft needs his social security to stay out of poverty. Instead, I suggest you attack Mr 4wd because he is deducting $200K implements directly off his 1040 each and every year. A cool $70K off his tax bill each and every year that has to be added to the national debt. Besides he has his nose the the trough for at least $50 K in  Fsa Payments.

He is a fine fellow but he just aint paying his way.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Oh, I can tell but I wanted to see you write something down on it.  I know they are dead set against it as are most conservatives because most feel that anyone who doesn't pay their own way are nothing but slugs and don't deserve your help.  Right?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Oh, I can tell but I wanted to see you write something down on it.  I know they are dead set against it as are most conservatives because most feel that anyone who doesn't pay their own way are nothing but slugs and don't deserve your help.  Right?

Then I take it you are for it.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I'm very much in favor of helping those who need help.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@schnurrbart wrote:

I'm very much in favor of helping those who need help.

Well, the UN has a great track record of redistribution. Ante up.