cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

True test

It is going to be a true test of whether or not the American people, the media and the various players in this Breitbart-FOX rape of context can get this Sherrod mess straightened out in the collective mind. If this sticks, it's going to be a tragedy that could blow like the well in the gulf did.

Don't say another word about this until you've taken it upon yourself to view the entire speech. It's out there to see.

39 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: True test

Just imagine if this was a white person in power saying all those things about a black farmer in need. If that were the case Jackson,Sharpton and everyyyy liberal on this board would be collectively giving birth to cows. I think the problem you liberals have with this is you can`t wrap your brains around the fact that blacks can indeed be racist. In the this year twenty and ten,  blacks are actually racist to a greater degree than whites. I really believe most blacks have a ax to grind against whites. Whites on the other hand will crawl over broken glass to prove they aren`t racist. 

Veteran Advisor

Did you see the entire speech? You are embarassing yourself by what you are saying. about this paeticular matter.

Senior Contributor

I saw what the pretty people on CNN showed about it. They showed the clip to the point where Sherrod said 'I didn`t do all I could, but I did enough', CNN said "well she did say she did enough" a moment ago GMA showed Spooner the farmer defending her saying she should have her job back and she saved his farm. I do see what you`re talking about in that she told how she tranformed in that story. She did reveal her inner most thinking such as 'I sent him to one of his own...a white lawyer' amid some applause in the NAACP audience.

Senior Advisor

Fox News never picked up on the story until after the white house had already fired her. Her outrage is directed towards Vilsack and the white house, not Breitbart or Fox News.

Veteran Advisor

If you can hold your nose for a few minutes and take a look at the Huffington coverage you'll see that they get to the heart of it

without too much politics.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/21/shirley-sherrod-defended_n_653747.html

Biggest thing to come out of this is the miserable job this President did from the start in assembling a staff and appointing agency and department heads and such. Geithner on down. But there are only so many Hillary Clintons and Leon Panettas. Emanuel is cancer on two steroids. Gibbs too hot headed. It's a mess.

It will be interesting to find out from just where, or how high up, in the White House this immediate call for her resignation came. If it came form the Oval Office, it's going to be crippling and, like the man or not, we don't need alot more of that with so much very serious s##t on the table. 

Veteran Contributor

Yup your right Bruce, she spends part of the 45 minute speech talking about how in the past whites murdered blacks.  Yup good way to emphasize how non-racist you are.  Talk about how your father was murdered by a white man, and how so many blacks were murdered by white men and how they didn't have to pay for it. 

You know Bruce, I agree, people rise above their past, but spending so much time talking about how oppressed you are, is bulls***.  I didn't see you arguing when they took out of context any of Sarah Palin's comments.  Nor have I seen any of the other networks do that.  Yup her speech really sounds like she's trying to bring us all together. 

The beginning is about how whites kept blacks down, the middle is about how white people with money kept the blacks down, and the rest is about, how white people are still keeping the blacks down, and how wonderful she is because she is not racist.  Everytime she says white people did this against blacks, it just makes me cringe.  No wonder we can't get together.   What a crock, her entire speech is about separation. 

http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video_sherrod/

I don't know what speech you watched, but the one I watched told me white people are the problem.

Senior Contributor

Trouble is politician now days are to quick to react and throw people under the bus to avoid looking bad.   Looks like Vilsack and others jumped to quick before even trying to find out the true story.  One report said White House aids knew about the story before she was asked to resign which makes one wonder if Obama knew?   I understand Vilsack's comment about trying to clean up his department's image after its past problems with racism but was happy to hear him say he would now take a look and consider the whole story after getting word from the White House after the whole story was reported. 

Did you see Maddow last night on this subject?  I agree with what she said although she believes it is only FOX and Repubs that will offer misleading stories as opposed to giving their viewers the whole story.   Trouble is I have seen her own station do similar types of reporting but just not getting the results that FOX and who ever it was that put this video on the web.

If you've ever been around African Americans where they are the majority- churches, civic organizations etc., then you'll know that is true- they do talk about White America that way. "'Course they can also tell you about first hand accounts from family members of lynchings, terrorization etc. so it is not too surprising. a lot of work to be done there still.

However it isn't a lot different than how  middle class middle "real Americans" - like they carry the world on their shoulders, that they are all self-made- that public education, New Deal programs etc. didn't have anything to do with the elevation of their family's status out of poverty. etc.

We all have some issues with the past we need to  work through.

Best, h

Senior Contributor

Bruce you know where the call came from to fire her. RE. I doubt if Obama even knew a thing until after the backlash started. RE caught the fox news clip, picked up the phone and called Vilsack and said "can that racist b--ch!"  Vilsack, being a good soldier to the pres, followed RE's demand without checking a dam thing, and presto, she was gone, they thought...

RE is a plague on this white house. I don't know what tales he holds above Obama's head, but they must be significant to keep his job.