cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Trump Wants to Permanently End Payroll Taxes

Please be aware of what Trump has said about payroll tax cuts being permanent. Trump said at a news conference in Bedminster, N.J., “If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax,” and he added, “I’m going to make them all permanent.”

Can anyone explain to me how this would not mean an end to Social Security and Medicare? Does this resonate as something good among the Trump Party of America (formerly called Republicans)?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/08/08/trump-payroll-tax-cut/?fbclid=IwAR3kSVRt9cVlhOSD...

PS - If you don't trust this source, just look for one you do trust and inform yourself.

15 Replies
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: Trump Wants to Permanently End Payroll Taxes

I can see why democrats would favor it.  If the programs were funded in the general budget the cap on the ss tax would effectively be removed.  It would be unteathered to what you had paid in allowing democrats to play with who gets what and how much.

I'd rather a flat payout based on what you have contributed and a phase out of the program.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

One of the foundations of the middle class.

But a feature, not a bug. Just tell the folk that somebody did something to them.

bruce MN
Advisor

Would it be OK if they deduct your share of the cost of defending Dennison against Ms. Caroll’s Rape allegations? Your hero Fat Billy is proposing that the DOJ take up his case on the public dime and I can’t see you having any problem with that.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I think your attempt at flipping this issue is a failure. This speech has received harsh criticism from Democrats. Even the temporary halt on payroll taxes has been heavily criticized by Democrats.

I'm not sure if you live in Bizarro Superman's world or what. I doubt Trump would support having your FICA reimbursed.

I have a prediction for you. Trump will backtrack on this comment. White House staff has already announced that Trump didn't mean it by saying that there are no "plans" in the works for ending FICA withholding.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Not sure it is the third rail still, but it is 440V.

An expected (but you never know when they'll come) early Christmas gift for Democrats.

Shifting gears to the discussion of UBI/MMT and other theoretical stuff.

If you want to just print the $1.2T a year and place the bonds "in the lockbox" you could, and it would have considerably more economic punch than borrowing to give a nearly equivalent amount to corporations and the wealthy through tax cuts.

You'll find the modern GQP to be quite flexible on thses matters.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I think your attempt at flipping this issue is a failure. This speech has received harsh criticism from Democrats. Even the temporary halt on payroll taxes has been heavily criticized by Democrats.

I'm not sure if you live in Bizarro Superman's world or what. I doubt Trump would support having your FICA reimbursed.

I have a prediction for you. Trump will backtrack on this comment. White House staff has already announced that Trump didn't mean it by saying that there are no "plans" in the works for ending FICA withholding.

I gave you an honest answer and you went tribal as expected.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Well, sorry if I offended you, but cutting off the funding for Social Security, Medicare and SSI Disability would be a titanic disaster for millions of people, hitting people 65 and older the hardest. Worse, I have heard no plans at all about how people that lose their Medicare would get medical attention, or pay for their nursing home expenses. Am I hot under the collar about this? Yes I am.

I don't see this as something a single Democrat would want, or support. And those that are true Republicans? Could this be the issue that would knock them right out of the Trump party? It certainly could. Any Republican that would support this idea is due to lose an election. Any Republican that opposes Trump is due to lose an election - so what do they do unless it's to break away from Trump?

I don't see how anyone could less than gravely concerned about Trump wanting to end FICA, permanently.

bruce MN
Advisor

Sam says he is.

It’s residual from back in the day when he used to be a Libertarian.  Before he jumped with both feet into the Dennison cult. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

A much bigger threat to those programs is to protect cheap south american and chinese labor. The way to protect those programs is to protect the American worker.