cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

US troops being considered for Libya.

Is it for NATO to decide or is it up to President Obama and the congress of the US? Gas anyone heard of an exit strategy? Let's hope the President puts and end to this crazy talk.

snip-

(CBS/AP) 

WASHINGTON - The United States may consider sending troops into Libya with a possible international ground force that could aid the rebels, according to the general who led the military mission until NATO took over.

Army Gen. Carter Ham also told lawmakers Thursday that added American participation would not be ideal, and ground troops could erode the international coalition and make it more difficult to get Arab support for operations in Libya.

Ham said the operation was largely stalemated now and was more likely to remain that way since America has transferred control to NATO.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/07/501364/main20051760.shtml#ixzz1IrtMwlxl

9 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: US troops being considered for Libya.

The rebels have already said NO Americans on the ground.  If Americans enter Libya on the ground, they will make nice with ghaddfi and fight together til death...  All they want is support from the air.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

You are right Bart but that will not be enough to protect the oil.  That civil war amongst warring towelheads will continue for decades unless it is bought to a halt by the the UN or the US.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Actually Bart the rebels are asking for heavy weapons to help them in their fight against Qaddafi's forces.  News reports last night said there are already hundreds of surface to air missiles unaccounted for in Libya.  No doubt the U.S. and other countries are worried about giving heavy weapons to the rebels knowing that there are al qaeda members in their midst and the weapons could some day be used against us or our allies.

I like the joke I heard on TV last night about how the rebels had captured 6 cities.  Well actually it was just one city captured 6 times.

I did see one Libyan interviewed last night who was asked what the rebels needed most.   His reply was leadership as they had no good leaders trained in combat.  All the rebels seem able to do in advance after NATO planes clear the way but then quickly retreat again as soon as Qaddafi's forces start advancing their way.

I had worried about this becoming another mess that keeps U.S. forces tied up much longer then we were led to believe much like with Iraq and Afghanistan.  That now appears certain as Obama has already admitted this will take longer then he had originally hoped.  If Qaddafi continues to hang on to power and his forces continue to fight the rebels and continue to adapt their strategy to better elude NATO plane attacks then I see this mess quickly becoming a quagmire.  We already have a second case of NATO planes accidentally attacking and killing rebels which will only add to any anti-American sentiment.

Samnospam
Advisor

Can anyone give a reason why we're doing this? One that just makes a little sense. Don't say oil, Libyan oil was flowing before we got involved.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You have to say oil.  It is the ONLY American interest there and that is the stated reason for any of this--"to protect American interests".  It is meant to KEEP that oil flowing!

Samnospam
Advisor

I don't recall having heard Obama state we were there for oil. The flow of oil was less likely to be interrupted if we had just let gaddafy win. You think a drawn out civil war that we seem to be intentionally creating is good for Libyan oil production?
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Can you not read.  I said it was for protecting American INTERESTS and oil is the ONLY American interest there.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Obama's "Bay of Piglets" NT

Samnospam
Advisor

And as I stated our involvement runs counter to that interest at least in the near to mid term.