cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

USA voter 'cocooning' themselves in media they know

This should be an interesting read for anyone who has their eyes open and mind willing to accept other arguments to at least consider.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/22/f-rfa-macdonald.html

But it has long since reached the point in this country where facts have ceased to matter.

Only in America, I think, is it possible to run against the media, and the California study offers one good reason why: Americans voluntarily living in an endless feedback loop designed to prop up their own conceptions and misconceptions.

It’s all foolishness of course. All four of the remaining Republican candidates say worthwhile things, as does Obama.

But listening to the other side makes thinking more complicated, and can upset one's life inside the cocoon.

It's much easier to self-reinforce, and bare your teeth. But it is unserious, and no way to pick a leader.

9 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: USA voter 'cocooning' themselves in media they know

From back in the day when more people took it with a personal seriousness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IdKFqXbUY

johnaa
Advisor

It seems to be very popular for subjects of the Queen to bash Americans.  This  insipid Macdonald clown, like Googhy's Mike Carlton, is feeding his audience's cocooning behavior in the same manner as Lush Rimjob feeds his insepid flock.  From my experience the Canadian, Australinane media is just as much a propaganda organ and full of distraction as American media.  The British plutocrat's puppets are mis-leading serfs into the same militaristic extermination process this nation's islamophobic sheeple are headed for.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

This should be an interesting read for anyone who has their eyes open and mind willing to accept other arguments to at least consider.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/22/f-rfa-macdonald.html

But it has long since reached the point in this country where facts have ceased to matter.

Only in America, I think, is it possible to run against the media, and the California study offers one good reason why: Americans voluntarily living in an endless feedback loop designed to prop up their own conceptions and misconceptions.

It’s all foolishness of course. All four of the remaining Republican candidates say worthwhile things, as does Obama.

But listening to the other side makes thinking more complicated, and can upset one's life inside the cocoon.

It's much easier to self-reinforce, and bare your teeth. But it is unserious, and no way to pick a leader.

I will argue, that there are those on both sides, who don't realize that, though.  They put everything 'good' on one side, and everything 'evil' on the other.  To believe that only one party has the answer to all problems, is a sad reflection of one of the biggest problems going on in this country.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@johnaa wrote:

It seems to be very popular for subjects of the Queen to bash Americans.  This  insipid Macdonald clown, like Googhy's Mike Carlton, is feeding his audience's cocooning behavior in the same manner as Lush Rimjob feeds his insepid flock.  From my experience the Canadian, Australinane media is just as much a propaganda organ and full of distraction as American media.  The British plutocrat's puppets are mis-leading serfs into the same militaristic extermination process this nation's islamophobic sheeple are headed for.

Yes there is lots of media in Canada that has just 'entertainment' that they call NEWS.

I am always left wondering if they really have an agenda or are they just providing what the listeners want.

I think Macdonald is right when he says people like to just get the feedback from their entertainment news that reinforces what biases they already have. They just do not want to hear anything that is different from their own beliefs. They turn the dial as soon as anyone brings up an opposing view and they certainly do not listen to any arguments against their own beliefs.

Facts just get in the way of their 'truth'.

There is a better chance of getting and unbiased story from the government or public financed news media since they make more of an effort to tell all sides of a story but because they are usually underfunded they lack the resources to really dig out a story. That on top of a listening public that does not want facts to get in the way of their 'beliefs'.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I will argue, that there are those on both sides, who don't realize that, though.  They put everything 'good' on one side, and everything 'evil' on the other.  To believe that only one party has the answer to all problems, is a sad reflection of one of the biggest problems going on in this country.

The way I read his article he did not single out one party.

Perhaps my snip just got one in his sights but he did not just talk of one.

It is the people as a whole that he was referring to not just one political persuasion.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I wasn't so much referring to the writer of the article, as I was people I know, who are close-minded to the belief that perhaps the 'other' party may have an idea, that actually isn't 100% evil.  It makes me sad, because then all we tend to get is arguing, instead of problem-solving.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I wasn't so much referring to the writer of the article, as I was people I know, who are close-minded to the belief that perhaps the 'other' party may have an idea, that actually isn't 100% evil.  It makes me sad, because then all we tend to get is arguing, instead of problem-solving.

OK that is about what I took from Madonalds article that he saw it that way too.

Also that people conducted their media to stay away from any ideas that conflicted with their own.

bruce MN
Advisor

Something new...49 years old

Quite possibly the last genuine people's leader:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/24/10222218-secret-tapes-of-jfks-last-days-released

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe he actually meant this stuff:

The latest batch of recordings captured meetings from the last three months of Kennedy's administration. In a conversation with political advisers about young voters, Kennedy asks, "What is it we have to sell them?"

"We hope we have to sell them prosperity, but for the average guy the prosperity is nil," he says. "He's not unprosperous, but he's not very prosperous. ... And the people who really are well off hate our guts."

Kennedy talks about a disconnect between the political machine and voters.

"We've got so mechanical an operation here in Washington that it doesn't have much identity where these people are concerned," he says.

On another recording, Kennedy questions conflicting reports military and diplomatic advisers bring back from Vietnam, asking the two men: "You both went to the same country?"

-----------

It's really no wonder that he was shot.  We may have just simply been treading water since.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

"can you imagine what would happen to the country....

If LBJ became President?"

Makes me look at JFK in a whole new light.

If you try to connect the dots....from how the Kennedy's despised Johnson, how the MIC was behind Johnson and how the Kennedy's were not going pedal to the metal in authorizing a full Asian war, I think it is very hard not to come to the conclusion that Johnson and the MIC were behind removing Kennedy from office.

What a euphemism "removing Kennedy from Office."

I think that everything in the USA has been aftermath since that day in November when Kennedy was removed from office. THere has never been accountability for this probable crime, and the latest bank scandel is nothing compared to what went on that day and after.