cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

USPS pending bankruptcy

How will this affect retired postal workers? WIll they be like the GM auto unions, and need to have the rest of the American taxpayers pay for their retirement benefits and health benefits?

When will this all end?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: USPS pending bankruptcy

snurrbart says everything is A-OK with it so dont worry about a thing

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Quit telling lies about me.  I never said any such thing.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Typically, anyone already vested in retirement will darw it, but you should count this as the least of your concerns compared to what you will have to send a mere letter via privete carrier. Once a Fed. employee is vested, they will draw some degree of retirement. Full retiremet is probably at least 20+ years, but I dodn't know for sure. I am guessing that partial retirement begins at 10 years minimum, but still guessing based on my general knowledge of Govt. retirement. 

Want a clue on postage costs? Go to UPS, Fed Ex or other private courriers and see what the cost of sending a letter will be for you. Then compare this to what you spend on stamps and your PO box (if you have a box) and do the math. USPS is a great deal. You will spend the cost of twenty leters for one via private carrier.

Also, look at the cost of USPS flat rate boxes VS what it cost you to send something UPS or Fed Ex.

Be careful what you wish for. The post office does not exist on taxes.