cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Ukraine

Head a commentator very early this AM say that he wasn''t certain if the revolt in Kiev should be called a revolution or a civil war.  Then ran across this, just now:

http://earlyamericanists.com/2014/02/18/was-the-american-revolution-a-civil-war/

Also heard MSNBC Republican celebrity Joe Scarborough say that it is more than a bit interesting that the 3 hot spots in the world where diplomacy and "best well laid plans" are breaking down, Ukraine, Syria and Iran, are all Russian protectorates. Been a while since there was a pile of real live Cold War pieces laying on the table.

3 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Ukraine

Yes, a very interesting chess match going on.  I don't see how the usa can win any of them at this point, thought it may come to a stalemate just by coasting on Iran.

hardnox
Advisor

Worth noting that all the simmering conflicts around the globe have gas and oil either in the forefront or background. I don't think China and Japan would be squaring off over some rocks in the Pacific if they didn't have hydrocarbons around them. Turkey is bullying Cyprus over offshore gas and Cyprus is turning to Israel, which shares part of the field, along with Lebanon and Syria. Putin played the gas card deftly with the Ukraine. Syria is the route for a gas pipleine from the aforementioned field and the Gulf States that would break the Russian grip on Europe and the Ukraine.

The Great Game.

Samnospam
Advisor

Always about riches isn't it?

I've wondered if all the noise about terrorist threats at the olympics from the USA is meant to be rain on Putin's parade.