cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Unemployment requests drop last week

Lowest they have been since 2008.

GM showing record profits. Averageworker to get $7000 in profit sharing.

Obama prospects on a rising tide. Some repub gurus think their presidential candidates ought to pack it in.

10 Replies
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Unemployment requests drop last week

I agree Don, the economy will have a lot to due with the upcoming election and not just the presidential election.   If the economy continues to improve it should help more Dems get elected one would think.  However if the economy is still a major concern for many voters come Nov. then it should help Repubs get elected. 

Not often I agree with James Carville but I do think his famous quote still applies to national elections and especially during tougher economic times.   "It's the economy, stupid."

One thing we can be certain of.  Obama and Dems will try to paint as rosy a picture as possible about our economy and jobs while Repubs will try to paint a much less rosy picture.  It is an election year.   Let the lies and exaggerations begin.

I read somewhere a couple weeks ago about the automakers having a huge inventory. I came across this. http://www3.cfo.com/article/2012/2/management-accounting_ford-general-motors-chrysler-absorption-cos...
cotman03
Senior Contributor

Lowest they've been since George Bush was in office, huh? 

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

Too many things don't add up for me.  In the weekly gasoline usage, we're using the least amount of gasoline since February of 2001.  This doesn't show a growing economy.  Then, we had the manufacturing data come out that was supposedly positive.  However, natural gas which is heavily used for manufacturing levels continue to grow much above last year levels and the five year levels.  Supposedely, unemployment numbers are showing improvement until one digs deeper into the report where it shows we have the smalles workforce since 1986.  We know the population has grown since 1986.  We also know that those who drop out of the workforce and are not actively seeking employment are not counted in the unemployment numbers. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

You would really prefer the economy got worse, wouldn't you?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Don, I think Husker and all of us would prefer honesty, we`re all big boys and girls, this administration`s lies will come out in the wash anyway.  0bama and company are going to find out that you can`t fart a crashing airplane back into the sky.

SWK
Contributor

Gotta love the main stream media blowing smoke where there aint any....and the poor suckers who believe it all....

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

I think I did just point out that it has gotten worse.  Lipstick on a pig still is still a pig.  I'm not pointing blame here at the current administration as those prior have done the exact same thing.  The point is that things have not gotten better.  It wasn't Obama that decided to leave food and energy costs out of the inflation equation.  He's playing with the same ball as those prior to him.  I would just rather get honest information instead of sugar coated information.  The media is as much if not more to blame than gov't in this regard because most of the data is in the exact same reports.   

Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

Good news but

What about those who have given up looking for jobs? Those older workers, even as young as 45, are not the candidates businesses want to hire. I have had friends in their 50s get turned down at McDonalds and being told they wouldn't stay long in the job. These were people who had to find work and had exhausted anything they were trained to do in the past.

I expect all numbers to get fuzzy since it is an election year. Both sides will point to how their contrary positions individually led to all this success.