cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Union money in Arkansas election.....

Unions spent $10 million in one election in Arkansas in the democratic primary to try to get Blanche Lincoln defeated.  They failed.  I bet the rank and file union member is really happy about this.   

11 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Union money in Arkansas election.....

How is that any differnent than the corporate money Blanche Lincoln got?

Senior Advisor

I think it is great, they put the money back into circulation. Just don't demand the tax payers pick up their pension funds.

Senior Contributor

Come on....$10 million on one election by the unions?  Unions sure must be taxing the hell out of their members if they can afford that in one state.  And they lost.  Unions don't provide jobs.  Corporations do.  I think the voters of Arkansas figured that out.

Senior Advisor

I don't believe unions tax their members. They receive contributions. Unions represent their mmembers just like boards of directors represent their stockholders. Corporations do not provide one jobe more than they need to. In fact many corps outsource their labor costs to foreign nations. Think about that the next time you buy a Ford, or a Case IH or Catapillar

Senior Contributor

They call them dues, not contributions or taxes.  A member not happy with being a union member might feel like the dues were a tax.  I would ask, if I were a union member, if spending that much money on one election in Arkansas was wise.  Outsourcing jobs by corporations to foreign locations is one result of trying to get away from unions among other things.  Did you say you were going into Mexico to get dental work done?  If so, why?  Aren't you outsourcing by doing that? 

Senior Advisor

Re: Absolutely

But I don't claim to be a job creator in America either. You on the other hand claim business is a job creator as if that is their goal. It is not. If they could hire no americans they would. You just use that as an excuse to justify the business point of view.

I don't know why american farmers hold labor in such disdain? 

Senior Contributor

I don't hold American labor in disdain but I do hold labor unions in disdain.  Always have and always will.  Job creation is not the goal of American business but a necessary part of doing business is creating jobs.  If we had no business, there would be no jobs unless you think all people should be working for the government.  I don't.  I also am curious as to why a liberal like yourself who champions the cause of the American worker would drive 14 hours to the dentist in Mexico to save a dollar.  I am sure that you do that to save money.  Why is it okay to expect all American employers to pay their employees a certain wage, provide certain benefits and working conditions, etc., and then you drive to Mexico where costs are much lower due to employee costs being much lower and government regulation costs being much lower?  You expect our country to impose these rules and regulations on any employer here yet when the costs get so high you can't afford them, you drive out of country.  I am currently employing three Mexicans from near Cancun, legally.  They say they can make around $2/day working around the countryside near Cancun.  In Mexico City, they make around $80/week.  If it's not okay in the United States for me to pay them that, why is it just fine with you to drive down there for your dental work where the staff there is making well below the US minimum wage?  The fact that you do that stinks.  My daugher is in her 4th year of dental school so this really gets under my skin. 

Senior Contributor

I first learned of pending doom of labor unions when I graduated from high school. I had an older cousin that worked for Chrysler on the graveyard shift. He begged me to try to get a job there. His reason............" we only have to work about two hours and then we play cards the rest of the night".

Senior Advisor

Re: Actually

I paid him $4K for about 6 hours work. Is that minumum wage? Where? Certainly it is less than the $15K I would have had to spend here but I probably wouldn't have done it at all. Would you like that better?

So why do you hold unions in disdain? How do they hurt you? We could perhaps discuss your ire and why you think the way you do.

I know my son is a union worker and does the job he is paid to do and he does it well. For some reason, many farmers are certain the workers are over paid, yet it takes a lot of money to live today. I'll be interested in your response.