cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Unions, Associations & the Constitution

So yes I believe very much that term limits would be good for the country but do not vote against all incumbents since term limits are not the law just as you believe we should all pay more taxes but since the law does not currently dictate it you decide to take tax exemptions available to you to help lower your tax liability.  I wonder if you also believe in paying higher taxes for the good of the country or not?

So yes I beleive in term limits but I do not vote against incumbants since term limits are not the law. So you don't beleive in term limits unless everyone is term limited. So it is not hypocracy for a term limiter to vote for grassley for the third forth or fifth term? You need not explain that to me. You don't think grassley is targeted by influence peddling. Not my guy. My guy aint a crook but those other guys are. BY your vote you are choosing selective term limits, In other words, "do as I say, not as I do."

I do beleive we should all pay more taxes. I do pay more taxes than I would have to. But I choose not to pay all the taxes I can. I guess that would be hypocracy to your intellectual mind set.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

It is getting old beating this dead horse Don.  You have made it quite clear with multiple posts.   If a person favors term limits and believes they would be good for the country then they should not vote any incumbent Repubs even though we do not have term limits.   But yet you who is by far the most vocal advocate on this site for higher taxes admits he takes optional tax deductions to lower his own tax bill.  So tell me again just how that old saying of your works?  "Do as I say, not as I do."

If term limits are enacted I can assure you I will not vote for those who have served their maximum terms.  If taxes are raised will you quit taking optional tax deductions?

I guess it fits in well with you being a champion of the working class people in our country yet goes to Mexico to save a few bucks on your dental bill.   This from the guy that says if we all pay higher tax rates it will not kill us never mind most of will be far more in higher taxes then you would have had to pay be going to dentist in the U.S.

I'm still curious what your opinion is on term limits for president and why that is alright but it is not good for Congress?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I told you that I do not opt for all deductions available to me. You on the other consider it a sacrifice for you to give up even one of your incumbants because it is not the law of the land.

I am a self employed farmer just like you are. I have every legal deduction that you have but choose not to take them all. I could build new bins, install many thousands in new tile. Things that would improve my farms at taxpayer expense. I choose not to do that. But you cannot even give up Chuck Grassley insupport of your own philosophy of term limits.

You have lost the debate, but just can't tolerate admitting it.

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

I'm not getting your argument.  You claim you do not take all legal deductions, but then you go onto claim you didn't build new bins, tile, etc.  If you don't buy bins or tile, these deductions are not even applicable.  Choosing not to take all legal deductions would be having paid interest on real estate but not taking the deduction on the interest.  Using your example, you might as well just say you don't take all legal deductions because your farm is paid off and you're not taking an interest deduction. 

Democratforlife
Senior Contributor

Thank you Husker. Don is a little befuddled. If he doesn't take the deduction it is because he is not eligible for it. You also notice Don never says what deductions he does not take. He does not fool me. He takes all he can get.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

That's kind of like saying I didn't take a deduction on that $500 donation I could have made to Red Cross if I had wanted to.

Be interesting to see if Don takes the deductions for head of household, medical, property, state and local taxes paid?   My biggest curiousity would be how he handles capital gains.   Does he pay full tax on all capital gains as he tells us all we should be doing or does he use any and all deductions available to him? 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I don't have any capital gains, I don't buy things to resell them. I buy them to keep them. Did I claim to forgo all deductions? Hmm.. I wonder how much tax i could pay on $399k plus? Would that make me credible.

However, i did not vote for Grassley so i guess that mean I am more of a term limiter than you are. I was willing to maje that sacrifice but not you.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Riddle me this, term limiters

Yes it is the voters fault. I din't vote for Harry Reid and neither did you. WE are doing our part. It must be those other guys,

Any way I suppose that americans have the right to be wrong. I forgive you for that.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

There is such a thing as avoiding legitimate deductions in the interest of preserving capital for other things. Thus when I decide not to do a tile project I end up paying more taxes. However, the roughy 30% tax on the unspent income is overshadowed by the 70% increase in working capital.

So when you buy that tractor, Keep in mind that You ar paying 70% and the government is paying 30%. Many folks don't even need the tracvtor but buy it because it avoids those cursed taxes.

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

While I do tend to agree with you that a lot of new equipment purchased now is nothing more than avoiding taxes, there are other factors.  For instance, any of us that farm do need tractors.  If we rent them, we get to deduct the rental cost.  If we own older ones, we do get to deduct the expenses.  I don't buy new equipment very often, therefore when I do it is out of necessity rather than avoiding taxes.  However, you do have to admit those that buy new equipment every year are helping keep a lot of people employed.  If everyone bought equipment every 10-20 years as I do, there would probably be a lot more jobless people right now. 

If the gov't really wanted this tax money, it appears to me they'd do something about both high speed depreciation and 1031 exchange on real estate.