cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Unusual logic

Let me ask you something--what % of your income do you pay into SS and Medicare?   Now what % do the Buffets, Romneys, Gates, et al pay into SS and Medicare?  Why don't they have to pay on ALL their income?  I have to and so does everyone who makes less that about $120K a year!  What if they didn't?  What if they paid the same as you do only on every dime they make?

Senior Contributor

You honestly don't know the answer to that? Pay at retirement is base on how much you pay in. At what point is enough enough.

Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Let me ask you something--what % of your income do you pay into SS and Medicare?   Now what % do the Buffets, Romneys, Gates, et al pay into SS and Medicare?  Why don't they have to pay on ALL their income?  I have to and so does everyone who makes less that about $120K a year!  What if they didn't?  What if they paid the same as you do only on every dime they make?

Because that is not how the contract is written. You want to break the contract. You draw based on how much you pay in. If they pay in millions then they get to draw millions.

Veteran Advisor

There is already a cap on the monthly benefit.  That could be increased some but it wouldn't be millions no matter and if the rich guys live to be 150 yrs, they might get out what they put in.  Y'all are always wanting to rewrite the SS policies anyway so why not quit worrying about screwing the rich guys and start putting a little twist on them instead of the poor guy who only gets $312/mo instead of the $8-900 that what he paid into would warrant?  Anything I don't live long enough to draw out the amount I put in just goes to the pot!

Veteran Advisor

Nummy, I know how it works, BUT even now there is a cap on the maximum amount you draw.  The longer you live the closer you get to drawing out all of what you put in.  There are a whole bunch of people who have paid in a lot of money but due to "certain conditions" their benefits are cut in half or more.  I know this for a fact because I am in that group!  It doesn't matter that I paid in enough to draw almost $900/month, I only get about $465 before tax and Medicare!  The same could be done with the rich guy.  We could at the very least revise the level of taxable income to $300-400K instead of about $120K!

Senior Contributor

@schnurrbart wrote:

There is already a cap on the monthly benefit.  That could be increased some but it wouldn't be millions no matter and if the rich guys live to be 150 yrs, they might get out what they put in.  Y'all are always wanting to rewrite the SS policies anyway so why not quit worrying about screwing the rich guys and start putting a little twist on them instead of the poor guy who only gets $312/mo instead of the $8-900 that what he paid into would warrant?  Anything I don't live long enough to draw out the amount I put in just goes to the pot!

Why don't you libs just come out and say that you want it to be another welfare program? Why not just admit you want it to be another transfer of wealth by means of the power of the federal government?

Senior Advisor

@man of steel wrote:

@schnurrbart wrote:

Why don't you libs just come out and say that you want it to be another welfare program? Why not just admit you want it to be another transfer of wealth by means of the power of the federal government?

Exactly right. What Bart is proposing is those who pay in the most get nothing and those who pay in nothing get the most. Contract be damned.

Senior Contributor

"BUT even now there is a cap on the maximum amount you draw"
There is also an equal limit to how much you pay in (the part you seem to have issues with). Don't tell me you want the rules to be different for you! Are people with money somehow a lesser class?

Veteran Advisor

Why don't you just admit that your irresponsible siding with the fat cats is stupid because you are not one of them and never will be.

Veteran Advisor

That is your biggest problem 20.  You never understand anything that someone posts.  You just look at it and start making crap up.  Nothing you said is anywhere near what I posted.  If you can't understand something, ask and I will break it down so that you and the other 1st graders can grasp the meaning!