cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Veterans

I heard a report that approximately 20 Iraq/Afghanistan veterans are suiciding each day. Can this be true? If so, why.
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Veterans

It is among all veterans not just iraq/iran.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No. The report said specifically Iraq/afghan vets. About 1 a day are Vietnam veterans it said.

What's the problem with these veterans? Why So many?
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@gough whitlam wrote:
No. The report said specifically Iraq/afghan vets. About 1 a day are Vietnam veterans it said.

What's the problem with these veterans? Why So many?

You'll have to post a link. Here's all I found.

At least 22 veterans commit suicide each day, according to the Veterans Affairs Department. This adds up to more than 2,000 veterans killing themselves so far this year alone, and the military community is facing what advocates refer to as a suicide epidemic.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/defense/how-can-government-battle-a-suicide-epidemic-among-veterans-2...

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The quickest, easiest way to do that would be to get rid of the mercenary military and re-instate the draft so that more bodies would be available for rotation and more people would pull the wagon!!
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Is that many vets from any war acceptable to you? Could the current mental health system have let them down? Could the trauma of war on these young guys been too much? What do you propose to stop it?

Oily would rather they all die and stop them being welfare whores.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@gough whitlam wrote:
Is that many vets from any war acceptable to you? Could the current mental health system have let them down? Could the trauma of war on these young guys been too much? What do you propose to stop it?

Oily would rather they all die and stop them being welfare whores.

Gouch, I think every suicide is a tragedy. I think one is too many. But there are 105 suicides in the US every day. I don't know if the rate is higher among veterans than any other segment of the population. I have no idea why there are so many or what could be done about it.

Highlighted
Advisor

More or less true, can't confirm the precise number.

One thing you can say is that it isn't because the public at large has turned their backs on them- the degree of public deference is striking and fairly universal.

Pretty fair to say that there is a major polcy failure on display, also fair to say that we won't learn anything from it. The notion that you can take a professional military and throw them into an asymmetrical war situation for lengthy and multiple deployments and not have it take a sharp toll has been disproven. That's true even if people are applauding them at airports, buying their lunches of giving them ovations at ball games.

I'm also comfortable in saying that the greatest portion of blame falls on the civilian and high military leadership that made such a bollix of it all from the start.

Highlighted
Advisor

For instance, we're now sort of slightly going back to discuss (not really) the use of torture in Iraq.

So, let's say that you are an Iraqi male in the early part of the occupation and like the majority you have some hope for the change that has come upon the country. But then the occupiers start kicking down doors, taking whole families hostage, losing them in mass conscentration camps where a substantial amount of torture or at least treatment well below Geneva standards is common, what're you going to do?

I pose that to the gun totin' men of honor here.

We're kinda playing at coming to terms with the catasptrophe we created but as I said, not really.

Which is in part the probklem associated with the somewhat phony deference that we've been trained to show to our veterans. We need to be able to acknowledge that the vast majority of our enlisted and low and mid-level commissioned people did the jobs that were assigned to them while coming to terms with just how horrible our high leadership was.