cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Violence, Violence....the only thing

that makes more sense? Not sure which rocker sang that ode, but I do remember a college room mate that used to sing a few bars of it.

Back in the day when I was in school, you didn't seem to have as much trouble with repressed kids going nuts with guns and bombs. And not that they didn't see plenty of blood and gore...virtually every week, Matt Dillion would gun down another evil gunfighter, without any judge or jury, on the streets of Dodge City. The evening news was full of the latest casualties of that SE Asian war, another day, another sad body count.The bad guys were dying , both in imaginary historical settings and in real life. And yet, us baby boomers would go to school and come home in one piece, and nobody was going to school, to the post office, or to movie theatres or college campuses and trying to see what kind of body count they could produce, to show the world their internal rage.

Now we spend small fortunes on drugs like ridalin and other behavioral modification pills, and what do we get? Columbine, Connecticut, Colorado theatre....seems like another week, another act of rage. What fuels this?  Do kids get bullied anymore than when I was a kid? I remember getting picked on from everything from how I dressed, to how my hair was cut, and a host of other things I would not even want to mention. So did half the kids I knew....face it, people are mean....especially kids.

But if things got too far out of control...if someone was really being mean, we had teachers and older students that would step in and equalize things. I remember both the phyed teacher and the social studies teacher grabbing a student and shaking them violently outside in the hall. THis seemed to get their attention. If they did that today, they would never work again in a school. I probably cannot even count how many times I had to take on a bully outside the school and maybe I didn't always come out on top but I know that they thought twice before messing with the skinny kid again. My father, a cousin, my friends....seems like everyone learned that the best way to stop a bully was with a fist to the face. And it seemed to work pretty good...the bully learned it wasn't all that much fun to get smacked back, and the rage never got internalized within the kid,

So, is it possible that we don't have enough violence now? Maybe confrontation, on a limited basis beats having something escalate years later into a huge tragedy.

I bet some of you would love to just smack me someday for the things I write. If so, just pretend that the desktop is my face and go at it....you have my permission.

4 Replies
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Violence, Violence....the only thing

You know Red, I just made the same comments to the wife a few days back when we wre discussing these deranged murderers,

Most if not all of them are the type who don't seem to fit in. They seem to keep by themselves so they don't get picked on or laughed at and that just makes that happen even more. There is no outlet for them. Fight back and they get in trouble and/or just get shipped elswhere where it just starts all over again.

Violence has turned into an ugly word, something that must remove from society. Passive! That is what we should all be.
Tell a teacher! Cower in the corner! Run away from a fight!

Well it seems to me that this crap just builds up inside because they are not allowed a release. Sometimes people just need a good butt woopin'!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Back in the early early 80`s when I was in school, there was a "Army brat" that transfered into our school and he was into the band "KISS" and devil worship big time.  I never said a word to him as most didn`t, in classes that he wasn`t in the teachers would even say he wasn`t going to amount to anything...and he didn`t last I heard.  But if there ever was a candidate to shoot up our school, he was it.  30 yrs ago there was just a diferent atmosphere at that time, there were part-time jobs for kids, the only video games were at a accade where you had to put a quarter in to play PacMan...after your homework and chores.  Now, kids are off the farm, limbited part-time jobs the geezers need those jobs because their 401K is gone.  Families were different back then in most cases there was a mom and dad involved that cared to raise their kids right.  Good parents are still around today, but there are many less of us, we aren`t politically correct, we aren`t the "Modern Family", our votes don`t count in elections. Funerals outnumber confirmations 5 to 1 in churches these days. All these things are self evident to those that will see.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I think back then, when kids were bored, they'd get together, and run around, ride bikes or whatever.    They would find a friend, and find something to do.

Now, when they are bored, they retreat into a dark corner of the basement, clicking buttons on a machine, with no interaction with other kids, except maybe online.

I truly think, that the 'people skills' of the public in general, are going down, right in front of my eyes.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Red Steele wrote:

that makes more sense? Not sure which rocker sang that ode, but I do remember a college room mate that used to sing a few bars of it.

Back in the day when I was in school, you didn't seem to have as much trouble with repressed kids going nuts with guns and bombs. And not that they didn't see plenty of blood and gore...virtually every week, Matt Dillion would gun down another evil gunfighter, without any judge or jury, on the streets of Dodge City. The evening news was full of the latest casualties of that SE Asian war, another day, another sad body count.The bad guys were dying , both in imaginary historical settings and in real life. And yet, us baby boomers would go to school and come home in one piece, and nobody was going to school, to the post office, or to movie theatres or college campuses and trying to see what kind of body count they could produce, to show the world their internal rage.

Now we spend small fortunes on drugs like ridalin and other behavioral modification pills, and what do we get? Columbine, Connecticut, Colorado theatre....seems like another week, another act of rage. What fuels this?  Do kids get bullied anymore than when I was a kid? I remember getting picked on from everything from how I dressed, to how my hair was cut, and a host of other things I would not even want to mention. So did half the kids I knew....face it, people are mean....especially kids.

But if things got too far out of control...if someone was really being mean, we had teachers and older students that would step in and equalize things. I remember both the phyed teacher and the social studies teacher grabbing a student and shaking them violently outside in the hall. THis seemed to get their attention. If they did that today, they would never work again in a school. I probably cannot even count how many times I had to take on a bully outside the school and maybe I didn't always come out on top but I know that they thought twice before messing with the skinny kid again. My father, a cousin, my friends....seems like everyone learned that the best way to stop a bully was with a fist to the face. And it seemed to work pretty good...the bully learned it wasn't all that much fun to get smacked back, and the rage never got internalized within the kid,

So, is it possible that we don't have enough violence now? Maybe confrontation, on a limited basis beats having something escalate years later into a huge tragedy.

I bet some of you would love to just smack me someday for the things I write. If so, just pretend that the desktop is my face and go at it....you have my permission.

All I can add is kudos.