cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Voter ID question

I mentioned a couple times on other topics, about considering a US voter ID law, much the same as Canada's law, but got no responses, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

The more I look into it, the more I think that the Canadian system would do a decent job of preventing unqualified votes, while still not making it burdeonsome to vote.

Anyway, here are the rules snipped right from the Canadian gov. site, and a link to the full site, if anyone wants to read it in full context.

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/federalelections/a/voter-id-canadian-federal-elections.htm

Identification Required to Vote in a Canadian Federal Election

Eligible voters in a Canadian federal election must prove their identity and their residential address before they can vote.

-snip-

Voters are required to do one of the following:

• show one piece of government identification which shows their photo, name and residential address (e.g. a driver's licence), or
  • show two pieces of identification from Election Canada's authorized list. Both pieces of identification must contain the voter's name, and one must have the voter's residential address, or
  • be vouched for by another voter whose name appears on the voters list in the same polling division and who has acceptable pieces of identification. Both will have to make a sworn statement. A voter can only vouch for one person and a voter who has been vouched for can't vouch for someone else.

-snip-

If you read the entire thing, you will also find provisions for special circumstances, such as homeless people voting.

Now, my question to all would be, what about making this, a good starting point for US voter law?

If there were problems, details could be ironed out over time, but I can't see what would be so bad about their voter ID laws.

What would be wrong with that?  

Does Canada still has too much vote fraud?

Does Canada discriminate against minority voters?

15 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Voter ID question

Canada seems to be more homogeneous and less extreme in their views. What you see in the US is the Democrat party willing to condone voter fraud simply to pick up a few extra votes.  Democrats would win those elections anyway, even if the fraud was cleaned up, because in many places over half of the electorate is mentally retarded.  But they won`t give a inch, they want to totally destroy any dissenting voices at all.

Senior Contributor

".....  because in many places over half of the electorate is mentally retarded. "

Seriously, what is your deal ?

Or are you trying to tell us something about yourself ?

Honored Advisor

The deal is, mentally retarded people have figured out how to rob the taxpayer`s backpocket through the ballot box.    And in the process the satanic criminally insane politicians inflict laws, rules and regulations that stifle my ability to do business and pursuit of happiness.

Senior Contributor

Re:must be

obalmo won GOTCHA LOL

Senior Contributor

you must mentally retarded cause you and other farmers have figured out how to rob the taxpayers.   $ 500.00 acre for doing nothing is a good example.

Senior Contributor

Come on, guys

Let's try this again:

Here is a link to Canada's voter ID laws and requirements.

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/federalelections/a/voter-id-canadian-federal-elections.htm

Identification Required to Vote in a Canadian Federal Election

Eligible voters in a Canadian federal election must prove their identity and their residential address before they can vote.

-snip-

Voters are required to do one of the following:

• show one piece of government identification which shows their photo, name and residential address (e.g. a driver's licence), or
  • show two pieces of identification from Election Canada's authorized list. Both pieces of identification must contain the voter's name, and one must have the voter's residential address, or
  • be vouched for by another voter whose name appears on the voters list in the same polling division and who has acceptable pieces of identification. Both will have to make a sworn statement. A voter can only vouch for one person and a voter who has been vouched for can't vouch for someone else.

-snip-

Now, for a couple simple questions:

Could you live with voter ID laws like this in the USA?

Would it at least be a good starting point?

If you don't think laws such as these would work, why not?  Would it be because you belive that Canada suppresses the poor and minorities, or that they still have too much fraud, or another reason?

Honored Advisor

I agree with you Husker.

But these Democrats apparently don`t want any oversight of US elections and any ID requirement at all will be called "voter surpression!" and "racist!" they want to drag this country down to 3rd world banana republic standards.

Senior Advisor

Re: I agree with you Husker.

Same laws should apply to voting as apply to the purchase of a gun.

Senior Contributor

BA, like I have said before, you are a piece of work. Half the electorate is mentally retarded, eh? That sounds pretty ignorant (or plain stupid) to me. Where do you come up with these thigs? I suspect it has something to do with your anus being able to type rather than your brain. Amazing really. The great typing BA Anus.