cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Walter Williams, how to control congress.

snip-The bottom line that Americans need is a constitutional amendment limiting congressional spending to some fraction, say 20 percent, of the GDP. That limit could be exceeded only if the president declared a state of emergency along with a two-thirds vote of approval in both houses of Congress. Each year of a declared state of emergency would require another two-thirds vote in each house.

During the early '80s, I was a member of the National Tax Limitation Committee's distinguished blue-ribbon drafting committee that included notables such as Milton Friedman, James Buchanan, Paul McCracken, Bill Niskanen, Craig Stubblebine, Robert Bork, Aaron Wildavsky, Robert Nisbet, Robert Carleson and others. We drafted a Balanced Budget/Spending Limitation amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Senate passed that amendment on Aug. 4, 1982, by a vote of 69 to 31, two more than the two-thirds vote required for approval of a constitutional amendment. The vote was bipartisan: 47 Republicans, 21 Democrats and 1 Independent voted for the amendment.

It was a different story in the House of Representatives. Its leadership, under Tip O'Neill tried to prevent a vote on the amendment; however, a discharge petition forced a vote on it. While the amendment was approved by a majority (236 to 187), it did not meet the two-thirds required by Article V of the Constitution. The vote was again bipartisan: 167 Republicans, 69 Democrats. The amendment can be found in Milton and Rose Friedman's "Tyranny of the Status Quo."

The benefit of a balanced budget/spending limitation amendment is that it would give Congress a bottom line just as we in the private sector have a bottom line. Congress would be forced to play one spending constituency off against another, rather than, as it does today, satisfy most spending constituents and pass the buck to the rest of us and future generations in the forms of federal deficits and debt.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=40021

5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Walter Williams, how to control congress.

Wow...who hasn't been on what somebody would call a blue ribbon panel for something or other...maybe even some obscure one made up by it's members. That's quite a list of the military industrial complex elite there 30, BTW.

And not surprisingly, and quite importantly, if you'll dig up that chart about growth and debt that tom put up here earlier today..the 3 colored thingie...and lay the date of this panel over it... and then take a look at which party, and who the President was when these masters of war and captains of industry and finance guys got together to fix the economy....in a blue ribbon fashion.

Senior Contributor

But what do you think of Walter's idea?

Veteran Advisor

If you want the truth, I see it as dogmatic and full of codified thumper language geared by a social and cultural right winger kissing up to the plutocracy and primary monied intersts .

He makes no mention of jobs, banking scandals, dishonest regulators, economic growth so that we can continue to operate as a nation at even some modest level as an advancing and sustainable part of civilization. All he does is push buttons for the "from the wilderness" crowd, showing the moguls and oligarchs that they can rest assured that  wingerdom is sufficiently and will remain pliantly loyal and submissive.

As an aside from all that, I'm assuming that you've got to be jumping for joy over the results of the Bishop's vote. Don't know about you, but the Catholics in these parts got themselves one of those hard line old school right winger Bishops a couple of years ago and ar eloading up the local churches with young super conservative Preist and my Catholic friends tell me that their isn't hardly anybody at Mass under 30, much less involved in the activities fo the Parish at all anymore except for those from the familes where Grandpa and Grandma pay the private school tuition and are sitting on assets that the next generation is banking on.

Once they elected a Pope who had been a member of the Hitler Youth all bets were off for the legacy of the 2nd Vatican Council and modernization, much less liberation theology. But then the little old ladies and the made scared of their own shadow elements around here seem to like that just fine.

Senior Contributor

there are dozens of ways to correct the problems with gov but as all libs and obamoites most dont have a clue how to ---just bellyache about when gw was there----i like williams ideas

Senior Contributor

So I take it you want more government spending and I haven't read anything on the Bishops vote yet. Although that should be another thread. BTW is Walter Williams even religious?