cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

Re: War against Islamic terrorists

You've got a problem then Knapp.   If its not in the name of their religion for which they fight and commit acts of terrorism, why do they do it? And why are we involved?    Oh, if you go down that road, be prepared.   Not pleasant.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: So what do we call

They actually call themselves Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, or at they would have it rather than Levant, al-Sham. Look it up. This is why Obama calls them ISIL. They are referring to a specific region that they see as their historic destiny and it goes beyond today's borders.

If they wanted to call themselves freedom fighters, what would you call them then?

This explains BBC Piece it pretty good and CNN has a good article as well:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27994277

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

Nether you nor I could pronounce what they call themselves. What do the people who are not Islamic call themselves and should they be lumped in with the terrorists just because of their religion? If you answered yes, it is because you approve of a holy war. This isn't about them anyway. It's about what Obama calls them.

Are the people who are not islamist killing for the purpose of establishing a caliphate? It is not if I approve of a holy war, it is if they are in fact fighting a holy war. It is not I who is saying they are killing in the name of islam to establish an islamist caliphate, it is they are who say that.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

Huh?

"but Obama voted against the Iraq War,"

You want to rethink that?

"the Iraq War, which is what the primary responsible factor leading up to the creation of ISIS would be."

Somewhat, Equally would be destablizing Syria, which is where and when ISIS developed.  Seem to recall the USA being involved in that, on whose watch?

HortonGordelson
Senior Contributor

Re: So what do we call

They are referring to a specific region that they see as their historic destiny and it goes beyond today's borders.

Why do they see that as their historic destiny?    I would venture to bet it's because the Koran tells them so.

Re: Huh?

Stand corrected. Openly opposed more like it. And that separating out Syria as not a function of the kicked hornet's nest is nice neocon obedience. Wouldn't have expected that.
dozer876
Frequent Contributor

As usual OKdon is completely uninformed but don't worry so is the president. Here is a article that outlines ISIS history, goals and yes there Religious beliefs. **WARNING** This is big boy article with facts and expert opinions. Krafty and the rest of the Libs who get there news and form their arguments by reading the headlines on the Huffington post on the way to the Kardashian news may have problems
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re:just call them muslimes

they are all the same when it comes to money----they are blood thirsty and the less muslimes the more money per head plain and simple

Wood is always good (Atlantic subscriber here). What anybody wants to see is in their. All said, the recruitment effort is spectacular, and indeed horrifying. Almost beyond imagination. Yet I couldn't find anywhere in the where Wood says it is all of Islam. I doubt that he feels that way, as do the more rabid in the West. As they are very well represented here on this forum. The times, the weaponry and tools and tactics obviously different, but the Crusades/ISIL analogy still holds.
Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

Re: Huh?

No bruce.  Saying oh, thsts because bush and the iraq war, is a diversion.  As if saying things are different now.  Things aren't different now.  The current administration has carried on the same idiocy as the last.   You supported obama, own it as much as any bush supporter.