cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: Was Eisenhower a good guy?

Also, in regards to Germany's status as the most admired nation.

They are doing some magnificent stuff in their national drive to susainable energy sans nuclear.

And fwiw, it isn't hurting their competitiveness in the least. The fact that they have made their own deal with the devil in terms of tying into the euro may be, or at least presenting a different set of severe challenges.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Red Steele wrote:

BA, "war is hell". The Japanese general that defeated McCarthur in the Philippines got tried and hung by McCarthur after the war in a kangaroo trial and was a cultured gentleman that tried to decline even fighting, according to the accounts I have read. If Germany would have prevailed with the A-bomb before Truman got it, and the end had turned out differently, our leaders and soldiers would have seen their own trials for war crimes. The men in Bataan were starved, but the Japanese soldiers claimed they did not have adequate food either. Whether Eisenhower had enough food on hand  to properly feed the German soldiers is debatable, and not something easy to discern long after the war. Plenty of German civilians starved, too. My grandmother used to send goods to Germany before the war to cousins and when they, my grandparents, hit hard times here in America, this stopped and I think the contact with the cousins ended, too. God knows what happened to them during the war.....I read one of the old letters pleading for help, and cried once.

Google American atrocities and you will find an account of how prevalent civilian rapes were, even in allied countries. Japan knew this was coming when they surrendered and had their prostitutes and geishas "volunteer" to service our servicemen to protect their women from widespread rapes, such as France, Germany, and even England experienced. I heard from an elderly veteran how a  woman in England would be gang raped in phone booths by a line of American soldiers at times, if they got caught alone.

The myth is that Americans behave more gallantly in these situations than any other group of stressed out men and boys, and that is undoubtedly a fairy tale. We want to believe that "we" are different, but war brings its own morality and hell.

Lets pray to God we get sane national leadership that can right the American ship and keep us out of foreign entanglements like our founding fathers envisioned and strived for. Leaders taking us into illegal wars should be tried as American traitors.

I am not going to jump on General Eisenhower over this article. It is obviously slanted and written with an "agenda".

My uncle and his good friend served in the PTs during WW2. The friend told me they spent a lot of time sinking these little Japanese barges that sailed between the islands with supplies. At first when they would sink them they would pick up any survivors they could find. Then one day one of the survives set of a grenade after they pulled him out and killed several on board. After that they would just float through and shoot them up. No more survivors. Made my stomach turn when he told me the story.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Hypocrit!
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Don`t have a clue what you`re talking about so I can`t help you.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

I knew one who wasn't. She said that she worked as a cook and housekeeper for a rich family and every morning she would smear coal dust and lard in her hair and face, legs and arms before walking to work. She walked all hunched over to make herself as unappealing as she could and was left alone. She had an 18 month old daughter at this time also. She said it was horrible what was going on but she had to live.
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

That worthless brother was considered the lion of the senate by people of both parties. No rep[ublican was even remotely close to the stature of Ted Kennedy

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Germans are smart, hardworking and meticulous, i`m afraid we really don`t know(many of us) how close we came to losing the war, if they`d developed the bomb we`d be speaking German now.  But yeah France and Germany are`nt scared of nuclear power like many in this country.

+ it was often though that if any group could make communism work it was the hard working Germans, but that failed too.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

As I have tried to tell you guys for years, there are dirtbags, rapists, killers and thieves in EVERY walk of life to include soldiers and farmers! Fortunately, there aren't that many in any walk of life but even the good sometimes get caught up in the debauchery of the moment and commit a crime!
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

The basic reason behind the interstate program was the exact same thing that caused the creation of the Autobahn in Germany---fast, easy troop movement throughout the country.
hardnox604008
Advisor

By some reasonable line of analysis, the roughnecks of Texas, Oklahoma, California (actually the largest oil producing state at that time) and elsewhere won the war.  Along with the Russians managing to keep Germany out of their olifields, at least for long enough to do them any good,  and likewise for the British in North Africa.

At each critical point of the war the Gremans ran out of fuel. On the other side, even if there were some losses to U-boats the tankers from the US and Canada just kept coming.

Going on 70 years later we're still al jockeying over "the devil's tears."

BTW, for Vets Day. Knew a guy who I didn't always see eye to eye with on some public matters but was visiting him one day and asked him about his pilot training. He said it was from Uncle, flew B-24s in the war. After he talked for a bit as to time and place I asked him if he was on the Ploesti mission, and he said yes, but didn't have a lot more to say.

You never know what other people have experienced.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/ploesti.htm