cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Was TR the Man that shot Liberty Valence?

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/roughriders.htm

Made me think about that classic Jimmy Stewart/John Wayne Movie and how political heros are manufactured.

7 Replies
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

More about that "Crowded Hour" of TR's life

http://homeofheroes.com/wallofhonor/spanish_am/11_crowdedhour.html

So why did it take 100 years , until Slick WIllie came along, for TR to get a medal?

Was it just a whisper campaign?

I can't find the San Juan article about shooting the youth, but it was in a pretty mainstream magazine, but a long time ago. I guess history has been sanitized for the www consumption.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

More about the black sodiers that won San Juan

http://www.captainbuffalo.com/pdf/sanjuan.pdf

Probably similar stories never made the history books about the American Revolution, either.

its a whole lot easier to build a myth.

The myth becomes the man....the man becomes the legent. The legend becomes the leader.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Was TR the Man that shot Liberty Valence?

Hey Red, we are all flawed human beings, the only perfect man was Jesus, even my all time Bible hero David had many bad flaws.  With Teddy Roosevelt, the man had chutzpah, there is no question and i`m sure the stories are embelished.  However, TR was born to privilage...he didn`t have to lead the charge up San Juan Hill, TR could`ve sat in the comforts of a War Department office and call up someone`s son to do the mecenary work.

I always had a admiration for TR and bought a book at Barnes&Noble $30, marked down to $10 and got to reading up again on one of my favorite presidents.  I look at Roosevelt`s accomplishments of conserving wild areas, protecting workers and the middle-class. Not so much his colorful life, even though I love those stories.  When it came right down to it, he walked the walk, he left the country better than he received it.

I`m not wild about the fact that he was a Free Mason or favored a estate tax.  but if he wasn`t too high of degree, maybe he was just ignorant and with estate tax, i wouldn`t kick too bad if estates above mine were taxed a little  Smiley Wink

I thought that a post on TR should be something with alot of common ground for both conservatives and liberals on here.  But here it sounds like the Libertarian wing (Sam) absolutely hates him.  You`d think Knapper being some kind of park ranger would have something good to say about him..but nothing.  You`d think the 2 smart liberals (Bruce and Nox) would have something good to say, because TR did "stick it to the banksters"...but nothing.  Conservatives are luke-warm.  Smiley Happy

Nobody has much good to say about Theodore, he`s on Rushmore, google shows his good, 100 to 1 to the "bad".  IDK it`s funny everyone is so politicized that if a past president wasn`t in a particular party, right away half the people hate him, even if it was a period in which the country was strong.

I`ve always thought the further back that a president served the better the man was, even Democrats aren`t the way they are now, like Woodrow Wilson or Jimmy Carter were head and shoulders above the chum-bucket in office now.

Samnospam
Advisor

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Sam, thanks for sharing that link, I only had time for about 20 minutes but will definitely listen to more.  I would encourage any other of the yahoos listen to it as well. 

Here`s the problem, I don`t share the world view of the narrarator  Smiley Happy  he was, for me running a commercial for TR.  Unless the rest of the boastcast has TR "catching babies with bayonets" ....it`s just you take the Libertarian "circle" Conservative "circle" and Liberal "circle" superimpose those circles, there are "common areas", conservatives "lap over" with libertarians on smaller government and guns...liberals today are out on Deep Space 9, I really see no common areas any more and that`s exhibited on here every day.  i posted a thread about Hoffman`s tragic death..Nox ties it to the Bush administration and Kraftmeister takes it as a opportunity that gun manufacturers should be sued and who the hell knows what Schurrbart was talking about????

But if the "sinking of the Maine" was equivalent to Rham Emmanuel`s "never let a good crisis go to waste" so that WASPy America could hang on a while longer...yes, probably but I don`t see that as a bad thing...so shoot me  Smiley Happy    But TR and that generation may have won that battle, but look at the sorry condition that America is in today, he lost the "war" this is NOT, TR`s America.

Samnospam
Advisor

Listen to the whole show before you reach a conclusion.   

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well Sam, this may "get me into trouble" and please don`t be mad...but the narrator of the story has been worked over by the multicultural community.  See, what he is saying "jingos" and "TR is a cross between Archie Bunker and Peter Pan" and all the history that he gives is I`m sure accurate, but he slants it towards his world view.  Not to worry though, TR`s world will never come back.

But with the sinking of the Maine and "9/11" ...history may not repeat, but it does rhyme.