cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

We lost a treasure this week

For those who may have missed the notice, we lost one of our treasures this week. Gifford Knapp passed away on March 16.  Gifford was fascinating to get into discussions with because he was rarely wrong.  And when you got to really listening you found YES, he really had been there and done that.

2 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: We lost a treasure this week

Sounds an interesting guy Mike, tell us more.

Advisor

Re: tell us more

All I know of Gifford was what I have read.  Things he has said, things others have said about him. I have the privilege of owning a copy of his memoirs. A fascinating little booklet.  I guess friends and family encouraged him to write it.  I wish I had done the same with Dad and my Grandfathers.

NOTE: Gifford just never ceases to amaze me.  I just discovered this:

for those interested in ebooks and know how to use them, my Memoirs is now out there. we are experimenting with this. you go to the link, pay your 3 dollars using paypal and then get an email telling you how to get this file. My memoir book which others have gotten as a hard copy. i dont know that much, am only following my niece rebeccas advice here. should be interesting! THIS MEMOIRS is by me, age 88yrs, born 1922

Gifford seems like a true American success story.  Growing up through the Depression, going to war instead of college, creating several innovations in business, adopting 5 American Indian kids when it was not socially correct, building an earth sheltered solar heated home,  ... and I haven't really sat down and read it yet.  That is just from skimming through it.

Gifford's signature line on AgTalk was "I like to learn from others mistakes. I do not have time to make them all myself." A great lesson for us all to learn.

edit:

from http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/obituary.aspx?n=gifford-f-knapp&pid=149424477

Gifford F. Knapp, 88, of DeSoto, KS, went home to be with the Lord on March 16, 2011, and was reunited with Evelyn, his wife of over 65 years. He is survived by a son and a daughter, 4 grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and over 30 nieces and nephews. Visitation is at Hillcrest Covenant Church, 8801 Nall Avenue, Prairie Village, KS, at 9:30 a.m., on Saturday, March 26, 2011 with memorial service to follow at 11 a.m. Lunch will be served following the service. Donations in his memory may be made to New Tribes Mission or City Union Mission.