cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Well comrades

2752 social media accounts involved in political posting now linked to Russian troll farms, including many that were cited as sources here, I'm sure.

9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Well comrades

Yes many who would claim they are patriots and support their country have been willing accomplices because they did not use their brains to sort out the truth from messages put out by a foreign country to influence what happened in their own country,

A little more thinking and not reproducing and quoting what in many cases were obviously erroneous messages would have been the correct way to operate but because they had a mission to support a party only without considering who would make a good leader they allowed themselves to be used.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/inside-russia-social-media-war-103901662.html

That’s where the algorithms come in. American researchers have found they can use mathematical formulas to segment huge populations into thousands of subgroups according to defining characteristics like religion and political beliefs or taste in TV shows and music. Other algorithms can determine those groups’ hot-button issues and identify “followers” among them, pinpointing those most susceptible to suggestion. Propagandists can then manually craft messages to influence them, deploying covert provocateurs, either humans or automated computer programs known as bots, in hopes of altering their behavior.

That is what Moscow is doing, more than a dozen senior intelligence officials and others investigating Russia’s influence operations tell TIME. The Russians “target you and see what you like, what you click on, and see if you’re sympathetic or not sympathetic,” says a senior intelligence official. Whether and how much they have actually been able to change Americans’ behavior is hard to say. But as they have investigated the Russian 2016 operation, intelligence and other officials have found that Moscow has developed sophisticated tactics.

In one case last year, senior intelligence officials tell TIME, a Russian soldier based in Ukraine successfully infiltrated a U.S. social media group by pretending to be a 42-year-old American housewife and weighing in on political debates with specially tailored messages. In another case, officials say, Russia created a fake Facebook account to spread stories on political issues like refugee resettlement to targeted reporters they believed were susceptible to influence.

Senior Contributor

(2752 social media accounts involved in political posting now linked to Russian troll farms, including many that were cited as sources here, I'm sure.)

What was the number in the 2012 election?

Oh wait, it doesn't matter, the Democrat won that election.

Veteran Advisor

The number of Twitter accounts were also quite
High.
Advisor

real 'murcans

wave the Russian flag while they're standing for the national anthem.

Senior Contributor

Re: real 'murcans

(real 'murcans wave the Russian flag while they're standing for the national anthem.)

It sure seemed that way in the 2012 election when Russia was helping Obama win the election over Romney and our main stream / liberal media were waving the Russian flag.

President Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

President Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir, and I stand with you."

Advisor

A conversation over actual matters of State?

The social media folks who dug up the bots should be able to show the world any activity from 5 years ag. Let us know when they disclose it. 

Veteran Contributor

Yes, we know, uranium one!!!

Senior Contributor

What about Uranium One Jim?

Do you know the true story about that?

Advisor

As I've maintained for many years, many very interesting subjects to be found here.