cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Well you've cussed and discussed it

But the fact remains that the US Army does not allow it's train soldiers to be armed on it's military bases. Why is that? If the more guns the merrier or the increased safety by a fully armed population, shouldn't our bases want to provide that security for our troops.

Perhaps our military in all it's wisdom recognizes the wisdom of strict gun control. That even our well trained soldiers should not be allowed to carry arms within their personal lives. That even well trained indiividuals may start blazing away under given circumstances. Thus they don't want corporal Steele of B A Deere to be armed to the teeth all the time.

That is our own military telling us that these wel trained individuals should not be free to bear arms unrestricted. If those guys shouldn't have them then neither should you. Is the military restricting a soldiers 2nd amendment rights? Why would they do that? Public safety?? Hunh hunh hunh?

23 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Well you've cussed and discussed it

I am sure that the Russians and Chinese laugh at what the U. S. Military has become, and is perhaps why the the Russians are willing to test us, at this time.
Advisor

Then why should the police? The military is more thoroughly train with their weapons than the police are. And how about the secret service any reason they should have guns?
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

But the fact remains that the US Army does not allow it's train soldiers to be armed on it's military bases. Why is that? If the more guns the merrier or the increased safety by a fully armed population, shouldn't our bases want to provide that security for our troops.

Perhaps our military in all it's wisdom recognizes the wisdom of strict gun control. That even our well trained soldiers should not be allowed to carry arms within their personal lives. That even well trained indiividuals may start blazing away under given circumstances. Thus they don't want corporal Steele of B A Deere to be armed to the teeth all the time.

That is our own military telling us that these wel trained individuals should not be free to bear arms unrestricted. If those guys shouldn't have them then neither should you. Is the military restricting a soldiers 2nd amendment rights? Why would they do that? Public safety?? Hunh hunh hunh?

Do the people who are in charge of protecting Barack Obama and his family carry a gun?

Veteran Advisor

What has the US military become, besides mercenaries?
Senior Contributor

Back in the 60's I didn't regularly carry a gun on post but a friend of mine did.  He was armed with a loaded .45 at all times.

Veteran Advisor

Contrary to the anti-gun beliefs, the vast majority of people who own guns do not carry them around.  They are owned for a purpose, be it hunting, sports shooting, varmit control, collections, etc.  Yes, those same guns could be used for self-defense, yet that is not their intended purpose, at least for most people.

Plus, carrying a gun in a stateside military base should be no more necessary that carrying a gun in essentially any small-town USA.

Senior Contributor

Weapon VS Gun

Don wrote, "But the fact remains that the US Army does not allow it's train soldiers to be armed on it's military bases. Why is that?"

I can only guess, but I would think it revolves around the fact that the military does not have "guns," they have weapons. Weapons are for defending against a particular enemy. Military units arm when necessary to carry out specific orders. They are issued the weapons they need to carry out those orders, be it a grenade, mortar, side arm, rifle or whatever. What would be the specific order at a military base if everyone was armed - be on guard against your fellow soldiers who are armed just like you?

If all soldiers were armed, how would you tell a bad guy from a good guy when they are all in the same uniform? Also how would the command system work if everyone had a weapon and a threat was identified? Who would give orders and coordiante to all sorts of guys in different units?

Aren't the Military Police and guards the ones that are armed and charged with security? I'd say if they need anything, it would be more guards or MPs - the answer is not to arm everyone.

Translate that over to civilian life and it begs a lot of similar questions.

Honored Advisor

Think about what you`re saying, Don......................................................................Fort Hood had gun control on base................................there have been 2 cases of soliders going nuts and shooting up those places of "strict gun control".

Don, weren`t you the clown arguing that `with all those armed soliders couldn`t they have stopped the nut that was shooting up the place?`  You can`t have it both ways and I know you were the clown.

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Ag-Forum/That-profound-statement/m-p/477518/highlight/true#M1230...        heh heh, yer welcome!    Smiley Happy

Advisor

Re: Weapon VS Gun

I would guess that the person shooting at you would have identified themselves as the bad guy. 

the bad guy we're talking about did what when confronted by a person with a gun?