cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: What a waste

As I said Canuck you are not a farmer so you have no clue...

Honored Advisor

There was a episode of the Andy Griffth Show where a farmer moves to the Mayberry area and works at night.  Barney thinks he`s growing marijuana or has a hoodlum holed up in the house.  Turns out the farmer`s wife is pregnant and he had to help her, so the only time to farm was at night.  Not saying who plays the role of "Barney Fife" here....   Smiley Happy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512545/  

Storyline

Barney grows suspicious of Sam Becker, a farmer newly moved into the area, who is always in a hurry and never seems to want to talk to anyone. He also seems to be buying a lot of groceries and medical supplies and holing up inside his house like a hermit. Andy doesn't think there's anything unusual about the man, but Barney stays on the case, later reporting back on his activities, which Andy seems to think are perfectly reasonable. Barney postulates every kind of theory, from Sam growing marijuana to the possibility of treating someone with a bullet wound. When a big thunderstorm kicks up, Sam suddenly calls Andy out to his house. Mixed signals lead Barney to conclude that Andy has walked into a trap, so he calls up a posse to rescue him. Arriving alone, he finds what all the fuss is truly about: Sam's wife is about to give birth, the doctor is out of town, and Andy is going to have to deliver it himself. Andy puts Barney in charge of keeping Sam calm with old war stories while Andy ...

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

(There was a episode of the Andy Griffth Show where a farmer moves to the Mayberry area and works at night....)

Love Barney Five.  A good scene with Barney & Floyd in this episode is when Barney is stalking Sam Becker in town:

Barney:  Don't look at him, he'll know we're talking about him.

Barney after a pause:  What's he doin now?

Floyd:  I don't know.  You told me not to look at him.

Honored Advisor

Yes, Thank God for reruns and airing the classic tv shows.  Hard to find anything good on tv that was produced in the last few years, though the show Bless This Mess on ABC so far has been terrific about a New York couple that move to a farm in Nebraska, kind of a modern take on Green Acres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbMNcpQm2E  

But this "working on Sunday" stuff, I`m a Lutheran and Sunday is just another day, I skip church and work or whatever...it`s great!  Smiley Happy  Jesus healed the sick on the sabbath and the Pharisees tried to trip Him up on that ...well, kind of what`s going on in this thread.  Those that don`t work on Sunday, to them is "work a sin"?  I mean "good Christians" go to church and swing a golf club and sweat on Sunday... which is fine ...and I bale hay in an air conditioned cab on Sunday.  I guess I don`t see how me baling hay and others swinging a golf club makes me a lesser Christian.

I will say this Baptists must be "God`s chosen people" because they are rich, rich rich, they are the Bigshots of the community and they don`t "work on Sunday" it does appear that God is blessing them.  They will say "oh it seems like work on Sunday, fix on Monday" ...hey it works for them, they have more new paint in their many machine sheds and their name on more plots of land in the platbook ...So, go Baptists!  Smiley Happy 

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+3%3A1-6&version=KJV 

Senior Advisor

Well.......Canuck knows more about your religion than you do BA.....because you "just believe" and he only deals in facts.

Honored Advisor

Hey 3020, the thing with these atheists calling God a "magical being" I suppose with them their ignorance can be excused.  However there are Christians that consider also consider God a "magical being" and pray to Him like a slot machine or ATM machine and I think God will spit out $50 bills to you if that`s what you pray for and cover you up with money until hopefully you learn the lesson that money doesn`t buy health and happiness.  I`ve never prayed to God for money, kind of afraid to, but if a atheist was in the Christian faith, I`m sure they would be in it to treat the "magical being" as their personal ATM machine.

This guy is one of those, where if you give him $69/month then God`ll give you million$$$ He rides on God`s coattails and he even rides on President Trump`s coattails.   God will judge, that`s all I`m saying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Murdock

Senior Contributor

Isn't 'magical being' the best description for something that people believe is in control of everything?

Would not be magical if it could not know everything and control everything.

The replies to my post are laughable as they do not answer the ridiculousness of sitting around on a nice day in a year when planting is a month late and rain is forecast for the next day then after wasting all those hours of sunshine going full blast all night to plant before the rain starts.

And for those with the stories about what I do or do not do, I farm but only part of the land I used to because I am old enough to remember my uncles returning after WWII and so I am not looking for more ground to work. Just shaking my head at the beliefs that stop people from making rational decisions and working in daylight. The neighbours even had their youngest out following the cultivator in the dark with a skid steer trying to pick up stones that he was able to find.

Senior Advisor

So you view yourself as superior. Based on your beliefs. Your belief that you and rocks accidentally evolved from the same glob of goop. Because of your views as there is nothing greater than yourself. But in reality all you have exposed is your intolerance of your neighbors. Atheist are full of intolerance. That is why they make such prolific mass murderers.

BTW, the words you are looking for is not magical being, it is The Almighty.

Honored Advisor

I suppose some would look at God as a "genie" that you would find in a lamp on a beach that would grant you 3 wishes.  I don`t see it that way as Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this earth", you could look at it as satan being in control or man`s flawed desires ruling things on earth, with God allowing it.  Much like a child that`s only ridden a tricycle feeling he`s ready for a bicycle...there`ll be a lot of falling down and bruises.

Senior Contributor

So how would you describe any of the gods?

Magic being fits perfectly.  Of course you could describe them as a 'genie' because that would be the same, a story that has no evidence of being true. And like the genie no one has been granted any wishes from any gods yet either.