cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: What a waste

While religionists try to force their beliefs on everyone you claim atheists are intolerant when all an atheist says is they do not believe in 'gods' that there is no evidence of existing.  No lobbying groups trying to force all people to live in reality, no lobbying from atheists to take science out of schools and put old stories in the curriculum.

But you know if atheists said religionists are 'full of intolerance' they would be correct and that can be shown to be true over and over and you will find most mass murderers are religionists too.

Now this 'almighty' thing, I guess is not magic because I know of nothing that it has done. May be some things done by humans that they claimed it wanted done but show me anything that it did without humans.

Honored Advisor

I didn`t have time to finish my thought yesterday.  Some people/Christians do look at God as a magical being/genie/personal ATM machine.  IMO they shouldn`t, but I am not their judge.  I don`t consider everything that I don`t fully understand "magic".  Magic implies that it isn`t real, a magician saws a lady in half, yet she`s okay.  The magician isn`t a "god" he is an illusionist and I don`t know how he does it, but he would be a magical being.   Smiley Happy

A lot of things in science I don`t understand..and neither do scientists by the way, if we are honest, we are always open to learning.

Religion is a faith and either you understand it or you haven`t yet been blessed with the gift of faith.

Senior Advisor

Well maybe in some countries but not this one. It's the atheist who are intolerant and want to force everyone to believe as they do. If not they want to silence you are sue you. It is the atheist who were the great mass murderers of the 20th century because atheist "just believe" there is nothing greater than themselves.

Senior Contributor

Not sure why you would indicate that 'faith' is good since by definition it is  just a belief in a magic being or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Science on the other hand is based on facts, evidence and has to be able to be backed up by others replicating those facts and studies.

Science also has the advantage of never claiming what they know today will never be proven to be somewhat different with future info.

Religionists on the other hand claim old stories with no proof are the be all and end all until science proves them wrong for hundreds of years over and over and then finally at least some religionists will grudgingly admit that maybe the old stores were wrong or more likely they will 'reinterpret' the old story to match what science showed to be true.

Senior Contributor

I would be interested in knowing where an atheist forced anyone else to quit 'just believing' in magic beings but there are examples of religionists who force their beliefs on others.

There was an employer in the USA who managed to get the supreme court to agree that they could force an employee to not use their health insurance for things that employer did not believe in.

Then there are all the cases where religionists try to get the old creation story from their old book put in science classes and therefore force their beliefs on children instead of sticking to science that has been proven.

Look at all the governing officials that call on their god to save your country or publicly say a prayer to their god while others who have no reason to think there are any gods have to stand by.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Well here is a science problem for you. If Bruce Jenner can have a penis and be considered a girl can I have a gun and be considered disarmed? What do your neighbors say?

If you want to believe you and rocks accidentally evolved from the same glob of goo that is fine with me. Do as you please. I will not mock your beliefs and expect the same respect from you.

Honored Advisor

You have faith in your own abilities, don`t you? You are confident that if your daughter wants you to pick her up at 3:00 you can be there for her...but your car might not start, you might get in an accident or you might keel over dead before you can drive to pick her up.  But you have faith in your ability to fulfill your promise. 

But if you have to "prove" everything, how do you get anything done?  You shouldn`t plant until you can "prove" that a freeze won`t kill your crop.  Do you take out a bank loan without "proving" that you can repay it? 

But I can`t explain to a person that`s been blind since birth what the color blue looks like, I also can`t explain to a faithless person what faith is.

Senior Contributor

Very well said, BA Deere. We all will stand before our Lord and be judged for our time on Earth. The highway to Hell is wide. The gateway to Heaven is narrow. 

Senior Contributor

But my car is sitting in the yard and i can see and touch it. The same for my daughter, both very provable that they exist.

There is no need to 'prove' things over and over however claims of magic beings definitely require proof and good proof before being accepted.

So these magic beings are only in peoples minds, what you call 'faith'.  As far as I know none of them has ever been seen or proven to exist and that is why you are left with only 'faith'.

Now if you want to just believe then so be it but at least acknowledge that those who wish to live in reality and await proof have more than 'faith' in their understanding of how the universe works.

Senior Contributor

You really are hung up on Caitlyn aren't you.

No need to just believe how the universe unfolded and how life evolved because there is proof of that.

Look it up as it is quite interesting and you will be better educated after you understand the truth.