cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: What do you think is the best strategy

@kraft-t wrote:

Give government more options to protect existing jobs plus the fund to renew and rebuild public infrastructure.

Every government job must be paid for by private funding.

Samnospam
Advisor

IMO there are only two answers, protectionism of some sort or allowing wages to fall.
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I don't see you building  roads bridges, airports, hydroelectric and flood control dams, transmission lines etc. It's not only building new ones but refurbishing older ones. Most of that needs to be done and will not be cheaper next year or the year after that.

Of courae government needs to fund that and you and I need to pay for it.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

I don't see you building  roads bridges, airports, hydroelectric and flood control dams, transmission lines etc. It's not only building new ones but refurbishing older ones. Most of that needs to be done and will not be cheaper next year or the year after that.

Of courae government needs to fund that and you and I need to pay for it.

Most of that can't be accomplished in the next 10 years because it will take that long to do the environmental impact studies. Then it will be tied up in the courts by the trial lawyers for even more years. As Obama himself said "these shovel ready jobs are not as shovel ready as I thought."

buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

We, as a country, seem off base on education reform. I have heard story's and I can't remember wich of my college history professors studied this kind of stuff. He said the early public education in this country was set up not to make people smarter but to train immigrants to get up and go to school every day. Therfore when they were adults they would be used to getting up and going to work. From the looks of the younger employees they hire, at the factory I worked at, we need more of that. The saying goes that they don't mind work they just don't want to make a habit of it. Unemployment? I don't know where. That place would hire anyone who came through the door. No one wants to work nights, weekends, holidays, in the heat and these are very good paying jobs for people who don't need skills
idalivered
Advisor

Honestly don, there seems to be plenty of jobs here in iowa. i was told by 2 people (that would know) that winnebago will hire 200 people in hopes that 40 will "stick". Local papers advertise for jobs like mechanics and carpenters. Also, the usual nurse aid and cook jobs. what i'm telling you is that there are jobs, but many of the applicants don't really want a job. they just want a paycheck. I was also told that a new ethanol plant near ft. dodge is having a hard time finding people to fill the good jobs involving the ethanol "process". These are more specialized jobs that I'd guess are good paying. that is rumor, tho. Truthfully, I've always felt that lots of employment and economic issues are cyclical despite the best efforst of congress to screw things up. I've always felt that bill clinton was in the right place at the right time.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Since you asked

That is a typical conservative viewpoint. Cut off the welfare so that workers are forced to work for cheap assed businessmen at low low rates.

I hear all these guys claiming that they cannot hire people at any price. Well hire one that has a job from somebody else. I think their biggest [roblem is that they do not want to comete mfor good help. They expect the unavailable. The hard working talented individual for minimum wage or not much more.. meanwhile they oppose any increase to the minimum wage. Why would they object if they pay more than that anyway?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

That is a typical conservative viewpoint. Cut off the welfare so that workers are forced to work for cheap assed businessmen at low low rates.

I hear all these guys claiming that they cannot hire people at any price. Well hire one that has a job from somebody else. I think their biggest [roblem is that they do not want to comete mfor good help. They expect the unavailable. The hard working talented individual for minimum wage or not much more.. meanwhile they oppose any increase to the minimum wage. Why would they object if they pay more than that anyway?

Yes, much easier to collect unemployment, disability, and food stamps. You will be expected to invest much more of your SS insurance check to keep the system going. Might want to get your cash out of the bank and put it in a tin can in the ground. I here it is quite easy for government agencies to syphon a bit off the top if your investment in the future of their wards are not up to their standards.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Typical liberal view you gave there

I said nothing about cutting off welfare. I said remove the incentive to stay on it. you do know the difference....right??

man of steel
Senior Contributor

So I gave 5 and you only commented on one.

you agree with the other 4 then?