cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

What do you think of SOPA and PIPA

Do you think movies, books and music should be free to all?  Or not?

15 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: What do you think of SOPA and PIPA

I think without some sort of way to give those that make/produce them royalties from their work, production as we know it will slow, or even stop.
johnaa
Advisor

If you actually believe it is about copyright protection you are in luck I have a couple bargans for you.  It's about tools for censorship of the internet.  https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/  just type in SOPA, PIPA censorship

r3020
Senior Advisor

Do you think copyright protection is more important than, oh, say, an unborn child?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Stay focused!

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Isn't this about illegal downloading of copyright protected materials that by doing robs the artist of those royalties?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I guess we will have to blame all the tea party and repubs for again trying to protect the rich and famous since they are the ones behind these bills.  However, neither bill has even gotten out of committtee yet and are being re-worked so that they will only affect what they are intended to do.

Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

This article was written 10-years-ago but is as true today as it was then.

http://www.janisian.com/reading/internet.php

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I don't know enough about it to be sure, but I think so.  If it is to protect copyright laws, I tend to like the idea.  If it is about controlling the content of the internet, I tend to lean towards free speech. 
However, I haven't read the details of what the laws would do, all I heard so far are sound bytes, and headlines, which can sometimes be misleading.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor