cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

What has the Internet meant to your farm operation

What has the Internet meant to you?

Agriculture.com is celebrating 25 years, this year. We would like to ask what has the Internet meant to you? More specifically, what has it meant to your farm operation?”

Thanks,

Mike

4 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: What has the Internet meant to your farm operation

Much more information and all when I want it.

Way back in the 1970ies or earlier I used to tape a radio show every evening so I could listen to the markets and comments about them. Since I was not always available when the show played the tape allowed me to listen when I got in.

Used to have books written every year with spray recommendations as well as others with variety recommendations. Had to get to the government office to pick up a copy or do without. Now go online and get the info easily which is probably the reason we do not have so many Ag offices spread around the countryside now.

Used to have to go to the coffee shop to have a discussion and schedule it to meet others but now can do it online when time suits.

Parts schematics for anything I might be working on with a little search online when before I had to buy a book for a few implements now the simplest item has a schematic to look at and allows me to be better informed when I call for parts, usually able to give the exact part number to remove mistakes when describing things over a phone or having to drive to a dealer to makes sure the correct part is ordered.

Maps with satellite views etc. etc.

Is that enough for tonight?

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

And I did not mention banking. I seldom visit the bank anymore. deposits done automatically and payments done online too with no need to produce a cheque and mail.

Grain sales made over the phone with contracts in my hands minutes later and signed copies sent back a minute after that. No waiting days or weeks for mail or having to drive to an office to sign papers.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Not entirely germane, but on the parts schematics etc.

A while back I was away and had the serpentine belt break on the truck.

Went online on my phone and found a youtube- which happened to be some Mexican guys but I speak some Spanish- explaining how to replace it-went pretty well. 

Amazing. Got a blower out on a Trane XXX model furnace- no problem. just look on line.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Yes Youtube has walked me through a couple different fixes or even problem solving to figure out just what the problem is.

Also some tips on how to build a few things