cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: What's in it for me.

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

What are his, and your thoughts, about the country in general, if the debt isn't faced?

That is my worry.  It would be great, to be able to have Uncle Sam, foot the bill for my medical needs, and/or retirement, but what happens if he starts bouncing checks?  If/when the Treasury runs out of creditors, the stuff that hit the fan, might  make 08 look like child's play.   Which candidate, seems more willing to tackle that problem?

While not dismissing the debt it needs to be seen in context of the ever increasing GDP of your country which will continue to climb any any good government.  I think you are placing too much on this debt thing like he is asking you personally to pay for it.  Not wanting to start a fight but no one objected to going to war,  who objected to giving 800 billion to the drug company and doctors and who objected to giving 1.9 trillion tax cuts to wealthy guys and then put it on the plastic.  These are the basics which have put you in this position.

The debt is not something that is insurmountable. Most repubs like yourself are using it as an excuse to topple this government. If that happens that debt will still be there and surprise surprise, Rommel will make you pay your share as well as Obama.  Who else do you think will pay for it?  All the nice warm and cuddly lollies he is throwing out to the suckers will amount to nothing if he gets office.  The fiscal constraints under the current circumstances will be too much for him to fulfill any of his election promises.  As a businessman he should know the fundamentals of how an economy runs and consequently, he knows what changes he will need to make.

If Rommel is to bring a balanced budget, let alone debt reduction, the recession he will introduce will be nothing like the GFC. All dictators sack half the public servants and place them on the dole, cut government services, like ag and medical research and increase taxes like nothing before.  The secret to managing a fragile  economy like yours at the moment, believe it or not, is steady as she goes. That is something Rommel will not have the patience or the expertise to do.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Gough;

I have to wonder if the same people who are so concerned about the debt now were against tax cuts under Bush and wars on the other side of the world with no way to pay for them.

Only those who opposed the tax cuts and wars should be allowed to complain about the deficit and debt now.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Can the people, who were complaining about wasteful spending, since before they were old enough to vote, at least still be able to complain about wasteful spending?

I'd hate to be in violation of some new speech code, or anything.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

Can the people, who were complaining about wasteful spending, since before they were old enough to vote, at least still be able to complain about wasteful spending?

I'd hate to be in violation of some new speech code, or anything.

Barack Obama is the one who said it was a leadership failure to raise the debt ceiling. I will agree with him since I don't want to appear as racist or something.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@gough whitlam wrote:

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

What are his, and your thoughts, about the country in general, if the debt isn't faced?

That is my worry.  It would be great, to be able to have Uncle Sam, foot the bill for my medical needs, and/or retirement, but what happens if he starts bouncing checks?  If/when the Treasury runs out of creditors, the stuff that hit the fan, might  make 08 look like child's play.   Which candidate, seems more willing to tackle that problem?

While not dismissing the debt it needs to be seen in context of the ever increasing GDP of your country which will continue to climb any any good government. 

Right now, we are borrowing over 25% of the money being spent by the government, and is growing.  How long, at our current growth rate, will it take to catch up? 

I think you are placing too much on this debt thing like he is asking you personally to pay for it.  Not wanting to start a fight but no one objected to going to war,  who objected to giving 800 billion to the drug company and doctors and who objected to giving 1.9 trillion tax cuts to wealthy guys and then put it on the plastic.  These are the basics which have put you in this position.

That, plus the billions upon billions of other wasteful spending.

The debt is not something that is insurmountable. Most repubs like yourself are using it as an excuse to topple this government. If that happens that debt will still be there and surprise surprise, Rommel will make you pay your share as well as Obama.

Of course the debt will still be there, but until we start doing something about the DEFICITS, the hole will just get deeper, faster. 

Who else do you think will pay for it?

Everyone will.  The taxpayers, in more taxes, and likely those who recieve aid, in reduced aid.  Unlike some, who have their blinders on, who say 'Tax other people more', I realize, that it will take sacrifice from everyone, to get it done.

All the nice warm and cuddly lollies he is throwing out to the suckers will amount to nothing if he gets office.  The fiscal constraints under the current circumstances will be too much for him to fulfill any of his election promises. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I know for SURE, that in the last 4 years, Obama has ballooned the debt and deficit, with his policies, and he has yet to bring forward any kind of detailed plan, on what he'll do next, on this subject, other than to 'trust him'.  That is what he ran on, 4 years ago, with no results.  Isn't the definition of insanity, doing the same thing, and expecting different results?

As a businessman he should know the fundamentals of how an economy runs and consequently, he knows what changes he will need to make.

And that, right there, is as strong an endorsement for Romney, as you can get.  Obama seems to have no idea on how to fix the economy.  Get him off talking points, and into an actual 'discussion', and he almost seems lost.  I would rather have a guy in charge who knows what changes need to be made, as opposed to someone who doesn't know, but is willing to spend buckets of my tax money trying random things, anyway.

If Rommel is to bring a balanced budget, let alone debt reduction, the recession he will introduce will be nothing like the GFC. All dictators sack half the public servants and place them on the dole, cut government services, like ag and medical research and increase taxes like nothing before.  The secret to managing a fragile  economy like yours at the moment, believe it or not, is steady as she goes. That is something Rommel will not have the patience or the expertise to do.

I agree.  So instead of dumping Obamacare on everyone, with a host of new taxes and regulations, why didn't Obama first get the economy on the right track, before doing all that?

The turns must be gradual, to keep the boat from tipping.  However, I prefer to turn AWAY from the waterfall, rather than towards it.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Didn't he also say, if he didn't turn the economy around, and cut the deficit, his would be a 'one term Presidency'?