cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

What's so special about the AR-15?

That is the title of an article by Emma Teitel in McLeans this week.

Worth a read to get an idea of what people in Canada think about your gun craze.

 

No you don't have to believe everything in it but you might get a different perspective on why some think a gun is an absolute accessory and others do not.

 

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/28/just-whats-so-special-about-the-ar-15/

 

Still, justified as they think they are in using so-called assault rifles, the question remains: who needs that? Even Anderson will admit that the AR-15 is not essential for varmint hunting—“I don’t know if anybody needs a gun like that, but certainly a lot of people like a gun like that”—nor is it the most popular gun for hunting small animals. So why the American obsession with guns that can kill so many so fast?

Veenhof said that beyond hunting, he “needs” a semi-automatic to protect himself from would-be home invaders or potential gang threats. “If you are involved in a gang situation, what’s good about a gun with a couple of rounds in it?” he asked. Veenhof keeps a gun in his night table and another one in an undisclosed location in his house. He also carries one on his person, in case he is attacked on the go. Like millions of his countrymen, he is perpetually prepared for the absolute worst eventuality, with weapons capable of inflicting the absolute worst, and yet he has never, in all his 71 years, been in a shooting. Maybe the operative question then isn’t “Who needs that?” but “Who—or what—makes someone think he does?”

 

49 Replies
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

It is that type of extreme logic which cannot be absorbed by those who so blind they will not see.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?


@Canuck_2 wrote:

That is the title of an article by Emma Teitel in McLeans this week.

Worth a read to get an idea of what people in Canada think about your gun craze.

 

No you don't have to believe everything in it but you might get a different perspective on why some think a gun is an absolute accessory and others do not.

 

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/28/just-whats-so-special-about-the-ar-15/

 

Still, justified as they think they are in using so-called assault rifles, the question remains: who needs that? Even Anderson will admit that the AR-15 is not essential for varmint hunting—“I don’t know if anybody needs a gun like that, but certainly a lot of people like a gun like that”—nor is it the most popular gun for hunting small animals. So why the American obsession with guns that can kill so many so fast?

Veenhof said that beyond hunting, he “needs” a semi-automatic to protect himself from would-be home invaders or potential gang threats. “If you are involved in a gang situation, what’s good about a gun with a couple of rounds in it?” he asked. Veenhof keeps a gun in his night table and another one in an undisclosed location in his house. He also carries one on his person, in case he is attacked on the go. Like millions of his countrymen, he is perpetually prepared for the absolute worst eventuality, with weapons capable of inflicting the absolute worst, and yet he has never, in all his 71 years, been in a shooting. Maybe the operative question then isn’t “Who needs that?” but “Who—or what—makes someone think he does?”

 


If you don't want one, don't buy one.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

Hey Canuck, there is absolutely NOTHING special about a "AR-15" they are little more than a glamorized toy, I don`t even own such a childish pop-gun.  Joe Biden is right, if someone is tasked with killing alot of people in a short amount of time, a 12ga pump shotgun is your best choice, hands down, but that isn`t on anyone`s ban list............................................................yet.  The reason I don`t want a near harmless AR-15 banned is because that action won`t save one single life, when statistics prove that one year after a proposed ban would come to fruition, as all liberals do, they have no reverse they will move "Forward" and ban more guns, guns that would probably start effecting me. But if you liberals would agree to commit hari-kari if we would let you ban AR-15s and no other gun ever ever ever again, I would take that deal so fast it`d make your head spin.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?


@gough whitlam wrote:

It is that type of extreme logic which cannot be absorbed by those who so blind they will not see.


I see by the other responses they proved you right.

 

If they read the article they did not comment about the Canadian soldier who has guns but says he does not need to sleep with them.

 

Greg Bell is a 24-year-old Albertan gun owner and Canadian soldier. The first time he fired a gun, he was 10 years old. He owns a semi-automatic. I asked him why, unlike Veenhof, he doesn’t feel the need to sleep close to his guns; why heis perfectly content with Canada’s gun laws,which are draconian by U.S. standards.Because we don’t have “a right to bear arms in our Constitution,” he said, “you don’t have millions of people screaming out for the open forum of guns.” In other words,Canadalacks aconstitutionally validated paranoia, and the firearm neuroses that follow. America’s paranoia has been festering for centuries. PerhapsBell is onto something, an evolutionary shift thegun-control lobby cannot stop: the American right to bear arms has morphed into a pathological need that is not quelled but bolstered by each school shooting. Guns in the United States are like sleeping pills—millions of Americans can’t sleepwithout them.

 

That is the difference in a nutshell.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

You and him are right.  I have learnt over the years one of the primary requirements to have rational thought is a functioning brain. Most people can look but not many can see the problem.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Who Cleans up the Mess?

I sure don't want a bunch of liberals committing hari-kari on my property and leaving those guts and crap all over. Yuck!!!

Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

"Obama only wants leaders who will fire on Americans."  Guests: Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Jim Garrow & Consitutional Lawyer Bruce Fein

Tune in: 11-2pmCT http://bit.ly/AlexJonesLIVE

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?


@gough whitlam wrote:

You and him are right.  I have learnt over the years one of the primary requirements to have rational thought is a functioning brain. Most people can look but not many can see the problem.


And I see it continues with the latest posts.

Just keeps on confirming the article.

 

It is really nice not having to roll over on those hard old guns in the night.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

I wonder if there isn't a bit of bias, and they 'find' someone who sleeps with their gun, and uses that as an example of a 'nut'?
Yes, there are 'nuts' out there, but by and large, I don't know of anyone who 'sleeps' with their guns.

About the closest I can think of would be Schnurrbart, who has said that he has a loaded gun in his nightstand.

Do you consider him a crazed or loony 'gun nut'?