cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: What's so special about the AR-15?

I guess so.  I thought you said the AR-15 was a little childish pop gun.  You were being sarcastic?  Sarcasm doesn't go real well in the written form. As for whatever else you wrote about, I just considered the source and forgot it. Have a great day!

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

So look at the pediatrics site  http://pediatrics.about.com/od/safety/a/gun-accidents.htm

where they list case after case of children shot in their own home or the home of a friend or family member.

The differnce in the two links is the sheer numbers. That is wwhat the original article is pointing to that for a long odds chance that a gun may help in some criminal situation there are lots of cases where a gun has harmed and killed people.

The 'cost/benefit' analysis says the risk is greater than the benefit. Much greater.

This bit about 'getting rid of guns and murderers converting to harmless' etc. is part of the NRA paranoia.

The point to get your mind around is the risk is greater from the gun not from the 'murderer'.

That is what the gun culture in your country does not want you to think about, what it tries to hide behind lingoist statements like you just repeated.

A home is still safer without a gun.

When your culture gets its mind around that fact then maybe guns will be put into their proper place and people will quit worshipping them.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Tell me more about these 'resonsible gun owners' who stop criminals when they are not in their home.

How many gun injureis go unreported too?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Tell me more about these 'resonsible gun owners' who stop criminals when they are not in their home.

How many gun injureis go unreported too?

I posted several stories and videos on them Canuck. Not going to spend time rehashing it. My advice to you is if your home is safer without guns then that is what you should do.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Actually, if having a gun is a greater danger to the owner, than someone else, why not just give every criminal a gun, and let them all shoot themselves?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

My guns are unloaded, behind a locked door, with trigger locks on them (the trigger locks are FREE to anyone who wants them, all you have to do is ask).

I ask you, how does that present a danger to kids?

Again, I ask you, why do you want to restrict me, because of what some other idiot does?

Also, the American Pediatrics Administration, is a VERY biased, anti gun organization, in case you didn't know.

They could save more lives, if they put as much effort into ending medical error as cause of death, as they did going after guns

Deaths Per Year

Cause
106,000 Non-error, negative effects of drugs2
80,000 Infections in hospitals10
45,000 Other errors in hospitals10
12,000 Unnecessary surgery8
7,000 Medication errors in hospitals9
250,000 Total deaths per year from iatrogenic* causes

* The term iatrogenic is defined as “induced in a patient by a physician’s activity, manner, or therapy. Used especially to pertain to a complication of treatment.” — read full article

Lastly, if you feel that strongly, that not having a gun makes you safer, by all means, don't buy one, and if you own one, get rid of it.  Almost everything we do, is a calculated risk.  However, I belive that sensible people, who take proper measures to be safe, should not be punished because of what someone else does irresponsibly.

In the county I live in, there are 3 recorded murders I am aware of, 2 stabbings, and on strangulation, and zero 'accidental' gun deaths.  There were a few suicides, but that is not a danger to other people, only someone choosing what they want to do with their own body.

So, with zero gun murders, and zero accidental gun deaths, again, I say, that in my case, gun ownership carries very little risk.

I personally knew of (just in 2012, and all within an hour drive of my house) several people who died in car wrecks.

at least 3 drownings

three people who burned to death in a fire

one guy electrocuted

one who suffocated in a grain bin

one who was thrown off a horse, and died

two or three in a plane crash

one from a venomous bite

at least one that choked on their food.

One dead, one critically injured in a stabbing

but 100 years, and no murders, and no accidental gun deaths.

Yet, somehow guns are supposedly a 'great danger' to me?

Maybe, in some areas, guns do great harm, and the Cities, Countys, and States where that happens, are free to enact whatever laws they can, to eliminate that, but to say that gun ownership, puts me, personally, in some sort of grave danger, just does not add up.

Maybe it is because us Nebraskans are just such good folk, we don't harm others?
Maybe it is because we require full background checks, including mental illnes checks, as well as any prescription mind-altering drugs one may be on, before giving them the permit allowing them go get a gun (NO ONE, can buy a gun without the permit, not even through private sale) and no one can 'carry' a handgun without those checks, PLUS pass a safety course, approved by the State Patrol.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

So you have several stories and videos about gun owners stopping criminals when they are not at home.

I posted numbers of people shot each day and they were not criminals.

The risks out weigh any benefits.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

So your county is one but the numbers across the USA show differently.

Obviously you do not buy into the paranoia of the gun nuts who have to have a gun to protect them at all times.

You sound like me with a gun or guns for usefull purposes but they are not accessible quickly or easily.

Guns locked one place ammo another.

Looking at errors in health care has nothing to do with gun deaths,

I see arguments that cars kill more people so you should ban cars but I recently read a prediction that in a few years, I think it was 2015, at present trends there would be more gun deaths in the US than car fatalities.

Another argument has been that dogs kill people too so ban dogs before you ban guns so I looked that one up.............

This listing for fatal dog bites shows about 30 per year all ages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

This shows 3,385 gun fatalities of people under 19 years old in 1999. Did not look for other years but doubt numbers have changed much.

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/guns.htm

The gun lobby is great at deflecting the subject but they do not have anything to actually refute the fact that guns are deadly and a home with a gun is more dangerous than one without AND more dangerous than a home with a dog too.

BTW I bet there are more homes with dogs than with guns.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

So you have several stories and videos about gun owners stopping criminals when they are not at home.

I posted numbers of people shot each day and they were not criminals.

The risks out weigh any benefits.

Not for this guy and the 2 young ladies who were with him.

snip-

Police sources tell 7 Action News that a women's basketball coach from  Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School shot two men who attacked him as he  was walking two basketball players to their cars in the school parking lot.

Police sources say the coach was walking the two girls to their cars when two  men allegedly approached and one pulled out a gun and grabbed him by his chain  necklace. The coach then pulled out his gun and shot both of them, according to  sources.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/man-shot-near-martin-luther-king-jr-high-school-in-detroit#ixzz2JpnZgv4...

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

image4.jpg